Love the sound of a fullranger but I like Hard Rock!! What to do !?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It always depends on how loud you want, i.e., a buddy listens to hard rock all the time on some ancient, cheap mobile audio 5.25" 'FR' drivers in MLTLs, but being an apartment dweller in a retirement community.............

An 8" can irritate close by neighbors, but until you get to 12", it's just 'canned' Muzak and at 15" you start getting some good chest thump and at dual 15" it starts going 'live' at the local corner bar and at [4] 15" most folks are close enough to 'live' if the room isn't real large. These are per channel BTW.

For a frame of reference, it took one channel of this system to reproduce a pounded on drum kit, so very few folks ever really go 'live' at home: 20,000 Watt Home Hi-Fi System

GM

It always depends on how loud you want, i.e., a buddy listens to hard rock all the time on some ancient, cheap mobile audio 5.25" 'FR' drivers in MLTLs, but being an apartment dweller in a retirement community.............

An 8" can irritate close by neighbors, but until you get to 12", it's just 'canned' Muzak and at 15" you start getting some good chest thump and at dual 15" it starts going 'live' at the local corner bar and at [4] 15" most folks are close enough to 'live' if the room isn't real large. These are per channel BTW.

For a frame of reference, it took one channel of this system to reproduce a pounded on drum kit, so very few folks ever really go 'live' at home: 20,000 Watt Home Hi-Fi System

GM

I don't listen too loud but my current speakers are 91db/W and the amp (Yamaha AS500)'s volume knob would be at 20% most of the time.

12"
But, can it produce high frequencies like those small 4" inchers?

20,000 watt !!! OMG 😳
Not even our church has such a powerful speaker system 😛

if you want a standalone FullRange, look at AudioNirvana 15" the Fe (ferrite version) ! Good Qts !

It was adised before and stays on topic !

You can also stay with what you have and add a separate sub with plate amp and all the pot to play with phase, volume for a good integration with your room.

12" full range crossed to a sub (receiver) 120hz-150hz goes wicked loud.
In some ways it betters my avatar on the left (but not midbass or transient detail such as piano).

And less room reflectons with the narrowing response is a plus as the volume goes up.

Most small driver just aren't enough for me.
4x9" (= to cone area of a 12") l still needed bass support for my rock/dance stuff.

And I am in an apartment, but neighbors are often gone.

Last edited:
Size matters...Bigger is better!

I agree with Norman, a big ( or small) full range / wide band driver will sound soooooo much better when you cross it over to a good bass / low midrange driver(s).

By the way The Sd of an average 12 inch driver is approx 550cm square
The Sd of an average 9 inch driver is approx 270cm square
So a pair of 9 inch drivers = one 12 inch.

A pair of 10 inch has a bigger Sd than a single 12 inch.

Cheers
Derek.

Burwen's 5-channel system should do ok with 5.1 - wonder how close one can get to his dhorm tweeter array bank for it to sound cohesive? - that would sure help with thermal compression. Karlson setups could do pretty good rock. Norm's Fane has very good dead-on axis HF extension plus is pretty hard to fry or bottom out.

Ronald - even though I'm far too old a fart to enjoy most of the artists on your earlier list, when it comes to the mastering - and for that matter compositions and artistic performances, it's pretty hard to fault virtually anything in the FZ archive - although many of the lyrics I'm sure would still give Tipper Gore a stroke ...

attachment.php

Chris, somehow I thought of your post when I saw this picture ;).

Attachments

• 12342333_1098845920156215_6968903938286457609_n.jpg
    12342333_1098845920156215_6968903938286457609_n.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 281
Yup.

Too bad pyramid sued them (magnum name was theirs).
I will miss my 15lfs (traded them for 2 custom bb plywood boxes for dual 12's if they get done anyway).
Wanted to make a sub with them, but qts /vas / fs made ideal 4th order ported f3 of 30hz, tuned that low too, but 8ft3 each !!!
That's OK, they are great run wide open 4ft3 each tuned to 30hz crossed at 750hz, any higher and they get glar-y.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.