Equivalence between different drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2015, 11:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Equivalence between different drivers

Hi everybody. A technical question. Which of T/S parameters have I to compare to decide if two different drivers are "equivalent"? This both in bass reflex and back loaded horn configuration. For example, Fostex Fe 206 En compared with Tang Band W8 1808. These two drivers can be used in the same bass reflex cabinet, but how can I understand if this is in general true?

Many thanks in advance

Ziocalepino
Old 26th February 2015, 12:13 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

It is not so much about comparing one paramater, what matters is the synergy of parameters. It is more difficult in a vented box to do, but the best way to compare is to model each driver in the same box and see what the results are. WinISD Pro is good for this.
Old 26th February 2015, 12:22 PM   #3
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

The big ones to look at (besides obvious fs and Sd) are Qts and Vas. Those two really play a big role with giving a picture of the relative amount of motor strength vs mechanical damping and how big of a box will you need to reach the fs a typical box.
Old 26th February 2015, 01:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziocalepino View Post
Hi everybody. A technical question. Which of T/S parameters have I to compare to decide if two different drivers are "equivalent"?
Pretty much all of them, but Qt, F0 (more commonly written as Fs) and Vas are the critical ones as far as box alignment goes. To that you should include the output impedance of the amplifier, when possible since this will affect the alignment.

Quote:
This both in bass reflex and back loaded horn configuration.
Typical back loaded horns are essentially just an extreme variation on the bass reflex theme.

Quote:
For example, Fostex Fe 206 En compared with Tang Band W8 1808. These two drivers can be used in the same bass reflex cabinet
Can they? That's news to me. If you stuffed them into the same volume with the same tuning frequencies they will have significantly different alignments.

Quote:
but how can I understand if this is in general true?
It usually isn't. Very few drivers can be stuffed into boxes designed for something else with vaguely reasonable results. Some manufacturers claim otherwise, but the laws of physics are against them.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 26th February 2015 at 01:36 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!