Markaudio CHN70: What did I hear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Karlson speakers do well with that upfiring effect and were introduced for sale in the fall of 1952. Floor coupled, flooders, etc. may also suit your taste.

btw- although my CHN70 arrived only today and is in a temporary not completely complimentary cabinet, I do like the timbre of cymbals - its playing around 64dB peaks at 2 feet.

JXiJhDP.jpg

right now , there can't be a fair comparison as the two cabinets are too far different - - the foam cabinet design goes deeper plus that particular wood design needs some damping on the wings and maybe in the upper part of the front chamber. The K aperture with CHN70 seems to enhance upper treble subjective attack and focus rather than hurt it but the lower part of midrange right now is not right and its due to the front cavity as a microfiber cloth tossed in the "bottom" (relative to the way its oriented) cleans up and smooths the mids.

The little Vifa produces "bass" which is reapnably balanced and has an extended top. CHN70 I think has a nice midrange and sweet treble - seems like it would be fine for an inexpensive "FAST" project. There should be someone with CHN70 in an appropriate cabinet who could comment. I'd like to try CHN70 with an 8" 8-ohm Silver Flute woofer I have laying around but am not sure if the woofer is sensitive enough for a simple passive crossover (?)

I ran the CHN70's as tops to my RSS315HF-4's. XO LR4@300. EQ'd the top end ~flat. I thought they sounded pretty good and image well. Compared to the A7.3's in the same setup, the CHN70's seem to lack depth and openness. But for $35 each, a pretty good driver. For us old farts, the rolled off top is not really an issue. For the young and bat-eared, a tweeter would be appropriate.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.