kirishima build, from a beginner - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2015, 07:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking kirishima build, from a beginner

Got the drivers, Fostex FE206En, on Thursday and had to see if they worked so I ran them real quick, just that little test had me excited, being someone who's never had quality in home speakers I was quite anxious to start. As such I went and got the lumber Friday, 4 sheets of 3/4 inch ply. Wood and glue ran me around $200, bringing my total investment up to $350 since I got the speakers for a steal on eBay. So Saturday I started cutting, abd this is where I realized thathat I should've started on a smaller project being my first time really working with wood since high school shop class. None the less I continued only getting one sheet done today, tomorrow I'll have more time and hopefully finish the saw work. I have college on the weekdays so it'll be perfect for doing the glue step. End all goal is to try and finish these by Valentine's day so I can show them off to my sister and brother-in-law whom will be coming into town. Wish me luck, I'm relying heavily on it with this project.
Old 9th February 2015, 02:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yesterday I got the rest of the wood cut for one speaker and started gluing. I've got pictures if someone can recommend a host to upload to.
Old 9th February 2015, 03:27 PM   #3
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacentauri View Post
Yesterday I got the rest of the wood cut for one speaker and started gluing. I've got pictures if someone can recommend a host to upload to.
You can upload pics to this forum, if you wish.
Old 10th February 2015, 11:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well now I ask the community for some help and information, how big of a deal is it if the hole for the speaker is an inch off? And what is a better way to put that hole in the baffle. I traced a circle and used a jigsaw, trimming till the driver fit. Come to find out that I was a little off, must have spun the board 180 after checking and trimmed only one side and therefore moved my center more than I'm really okay with. Will it matter? I guess I have extra wood if making a new baffle is the only option for good results but that means I'll have to do the entire other one without mis-cuts.
Old 11th February 2015, 12:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here's some pics, phone cameras pretty bad, and space is tight to work in, pellet stoves secretly use a lot of space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0208151802.jpg (633.4 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg 0208151637.jpg (769.4 KB, 490 views)
Old 11th February 2015, 12:38 AM   #6
AlanL is offline AlanL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Come to find out that I was a little off,
Damn, hate it when that happens. I think I just screwed up a baffle too. Router bit slipped in the collett and cut too deep. I'm cutting a new baffle.

Best way to cut circles is a router with jig (just don't let the bit slip ).

You might wait for Scott to comment, he's the expert... but I'd get out the saw again, want everything just right.
Old 11th February 2015, 01:35 AM   #7
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacentauri View Post
Well now I ask the community for some help and information, how big of a deal is it if the hole for the speaker is an inch off? And what is a better way to put that hole in the baffle. I traced a circle and used a jigsaw, trimming till the driver fit. Come to find out that I was a little off, must have spun the board 180 after checking and trimmed only one side and therefore moved my center more than I'm really okay with. Will it matter? I guess I have extra wood if making a new baffle is the only option for good results but that means I'll have to do the entire other one without mis-cuts.
No big deal if the hole is slightly off in such a design. If you want to pretty things up , you might consider a 2nd supra baffle on top of the first .

Look at bob brines MLTL OR Terry Cains double Ben speakers for some ideas
Old 11th February 2015, 02:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I trimmed it a touch the other way and and played a little, with the speaker in its not too sloppy and only a quarter inch off. I am calling it good cause I really wanna finish these. Thanks for the advice I'll try to find a jig for the other one. Plan to cut the wood for the 2nd enclosure this weekend.

Where I'm at as of now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0210152235.jpg (609.2 KB, 466 views)
Old 11th February 2015, 03:02 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Off centre is not serious... did you end up with them mirror imaged?

The suggestion of a supraBaffle is a good one.

dave
Old 17th February 2015, 04:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Progress is at a stand still for a while unless someone has a brilliant idea. I had everything attached to the baffle and back, just needed to put those onto the sides and I would've been all done with the first. The problems I'm facing are the weather being cold and the glue isn't holding, and all the larger pieces have a pretty bad bow. I had tried to glue the baffle assembly to the side a and upon clamping the back half down all my glue joints failed. I'm assuming it's due to the fact that the door downstairs didn't close the one day and the temperature down there dipped to a little under 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Should I try and continue or should I just hold off till the weather warms up a bit?

Hide this!Advertise here!