kirishima build, from a beginner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How did your stuffing go?

Any cabinet resonance?

As for the relative lack of bass, I have found over the years that it was a lot like cutting salt out of my diet. Once I stopped adding salt to everything I went from missing salt to objecting when my foods are unnaturally salty. So much music and content is mixed with unnatural treble and bass. I understand that they are mixing for mass consumer systems. I keep some of those on hand for the MP3's and Netflix. But with the right content, and after they age a bit, these puppies will sing. Congrats. Now, what is the next project?

Thanks, and this certainly was bigger than I expected but not to hard to make. I would say the hardest part was cutting a round hole.

As far as stuffing goes I didn't use any, I might go back and add some with the hopes of shifting the response of the enclosure down a bit cause the mids are very strong and bass weak. Far as your analogy that's a perfect way to describe it, I think if I adjust to having less bass response I'll certainly hear what these do offer.

I haven't noticed much of any resonance but I'm sure it's there, my ears aren't so tuned in to the imperfections. A good way to put it is, I know the auditory difference between hifi and low-fi but I normally can't figure out what sounds off I just know it's not quite right.

These are excellent speakers and if space is available I recommend it to all but the sound it gives is very warm and wholesome, which can be good but it's not really my taste. On the plus side, they sound good enough to convince my dad to let me leave them in the living room ��. I think my next project will be a subwoofer for the ~70-15Hz range and if that still leaves me discontent I'll have to make some good 3-ways, which I would want to have good enough response to only need the stereo pair and no sub

I am somewhat surprised u need more bass... U need to go that low?

Not to presume, but when I have the fever for "more bass" the remedy is usually a powerful silicon amp and multi driver system capable of more dynamics.

I have heard real car crashes and there is something about the decisive sharps of such a system over the warmth of a full ranger that is desirable for movies where the experience of what is arguably harshness is a lot of fun. It gives a heightened sense of being there. The full ranger might be closer to the actual experience of hearing a live car crash.

Not meaning directly to revive an old thread, but I just purchased a turntable which gives much more clarity than mp3s and flac files. That brought out some highlights of these speakers but the other addition made me drool. I'm now a proud owner of a marantz 1150D, and that beautiful piece of vintage art brought these kirishimas to life. The bass is now there without a sub (still have one cause I'm an addict), highs are defined and that midrange is phenomenal. I must say thank you to everyone who helped with tips and suggestions and a thank you to the entire diyaudio community for sparking the interest to make these speakers. Course maybe I shouldn't be thankful, now I need to spend more to make better or compliment them lol. I have seen the dragon, and the chase is on

I built a pair of these horns about three years ago and am still enjoying them. Like you, I had not very much bass to start with. It took a few months of regular use for the drivers to break in and I also tried a few different amplifiers and cables.

A worthwhile upgrade is to fit phase plugs to the drivers. The top end becomes a little smoother and imaging is better.

Ubyte cables work nicely for me and sound better than thicker stranded cable in my system.

My favourite amp for the Kirishimas is the J.C Morrison 'Micro 2A3' design. The combination really lets you enjoy the music and there's plenty of well controlled bass too.

Well to check back in on this I added the FT17h tweeters and a simple crossover for them, definately gave the aura of the music more definition, now if I hear high notes such as mariah carrey's thing she does, symbols and such are defined and extended as they should be. Only complaint is the room rings more too. Bass seems lower every time I listen, but its just sound no major vibration from it, love that aspect. I'm now content with them, need a new source as right now its just the headphone out on my computer or a turntable witth only 16 vinyls. Still might try stuffing them just to see what it'll do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.