Suitable fullrange for 300Hz FAST? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2015, 04:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to monty78pig
Default Suitable fullrange for 300Hz FAST?

Will Markaudio ever make a driver specifically for a FAST application designed for good response above 300Hz but requiring another lower frequency driver below that?

Would the efficiency of such a driver be higher due to the smaller required frequency range?
Old 6th February 2015, 12:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty78pig View Post
Will Markaudio ever make a driver specifically for a FAST application designed for good response above 300Hz but requiring another lower frequency driver below that?

Would the efficiency of such a driver be higher due to the smaller required frequency range?
I would also like to see such a driver. Only if 94 dB (or more), 8 ohms, would be possible for use with flee watt amps?

I'm currently making box for A6p.

Last edited by ticovski; 6th February 2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 6th February 2015, 12:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to monty78pig
I reckon if a driver large enough is used then an efficient speaker in this range should be viable.

Perhaps performing better than most others due to the onus being on +300Hz performance?
Old 6th February 2015, 06:16 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

As this is a type of configuration that a lot of folks have already implemented with great results with all sizes of existing MA drivers, what would you deem the specific requirements that are not being met?
I'm currently running A7P & dual 12PWs in a larger MTM set up that works very well.

Unless actively bi-amping, careful coordination of driver sensitivities is required, and when seriously mismatched, substantial attenuation may be required with passive XOs that can negate the advantage of "higher efficiency" drivers in either position.
Old 9th February 2015, 02:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
As this is a type of configuration that a lot of folks have already implemented with great results with all sizes of existing MA drivers, what would you deem the specific requirements that are not being met?
I'm currently running A7P & dual 12PWs in a larger MTM set up that works very well.

Unless actively bi-amping, careful coordination of driver sensitivities is required, and when seriously mismatched, substantial attenuation may be required with passive XOs that can negate the advantage of "higher efficiency" drivers in either position.
Hello.
I'm currently running a single 12P on an Optix open baffle, actively crossed to an 18" H Frame sub, which is for the first time starting to sound a little clumsy.
Are you happy with the 12PW's?
I'm considering them for tapped horns, do you think they'd be good candidates?
Old 9th February 2015, 03:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Fast?

Would someone tell me what FAST stands for in regards to speaker type?
Thanks.
Old 9th February 2015, 03:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITsound View Post
Would someone tell me what FAST stands for in regards to speaker type?
Thanks.
IIRC full range assisted subwoofer technology
the idea is to free the FR of bass duties and have lower distortion (mostly inter-modulation) and allow to use more power, as you get less cone movement.
Also use a different/specialized unit for bass and have the best of both worlds.
Old 9th February 2015, 04:12 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's one of those acronyms you love to hate, but essentially just think of the format as a 2-way using a "full- range" driver crossed over just below the bottom of telephone band ( i.e. from around 300Hz & down) to in most cases, stereo woofers.

Can be any type of enclosure - or lack thereof- OB systems with supporting woofers, for example.

They certainly allow smaller size FR drivers - e.g. 3 - 4" to shine, and with the outrageous value now available with class D amps, and the flexibility of DSP such as minidsp, etc, it's never been more affordable to go active.
Old 9th February 2015, 11:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default So FAST

I'm already there .
12P on 18x24" open baffle, either 7 or 12 watts fed, depending on amp, started actively crossed to a sub to break them in slowly, now prefer them unfiltered.
This may be due to an inexpensive active crossover, however.
Awaiting some carbon fiber rolls to do a better looking frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (474.2 KB, 215 views)
Old 9th February 2015, 11:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Sub du jour

And made this proto type this afternoon, as I've had these drivers a while since decommissioning them from a push push transmission line sub.
Bass is more detailed and better blended with the Markaudio's, than the .69qts Podium Pro 183.
Glad I didn't heed the experts who said the RSS265HF-4 were completely unsuitable for dipole duty.
So far, I find they blend perfectly, although it took some effort juggling the plate amp's parametric eq, volume and level settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (348.4 KB, 206 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!