Suitable fullrange for 300Hz FAST?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Shouldn't we already be using active XO's seeing as they give better performance? A class D amp could even be used for the LF unit :flame: .

I had a little look at some FR drivers and I think the sort of driver I'm trying to describe would be one similar to the Fostex FX120. Very flat frequency response, and good dispersion in the high frequencies.

Attachments

• FX120.gif
    FX120.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 208
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Shouldn't we already be using active XO's seeing as they give better performance?

It is nice to bi-amp. That doesn't need an active XO, it can be done passively, but realistically 1st order is most practical, but that takes advantage of the close proximity (less than 1/4 wl at XO) to achieve good time response. Higher order takes that off the table.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you consider an FX120 appropriate please look at response of 5MR450NDY. I think FX120 costs more and may not be as sensitive. Smoothness of response is about same and high end on both is circa 15kHz? High passing at 300Hz doesn't change break up - that is function of cones resonant modes and mechanics at high freq excitation. If you XO at 300Hz there is no advantage that the FX120 will give you bass wise, as it would have if going full range in a BLH for example.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
Dave, could you tell me what's wrong with LR4 :flame: ?

Seems to me that most fullrange speakers could be improved with FAST if that is the case with Doppler (FM distortion if I'm right?).

It also appears to me that the Fostex FX120 is probably the best bet for a FAST system. I was originally looking at building an Alpair 12P BR but having looked at it's frequency response graph and realising the scale was twice as much as I originally thought it was I was a little put off this :p .

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
could you tell me what's wrong with LR4?

I just don't like how they sound. I am not alone.

Seems to me that most fullrange speakers could be improved with FAST if that is the case with Doppler.

Yes

It also appears to me that the Fostex FX120 is probably the best bet for a FAST system.

Good but i would not consider it best. Personally of the Fostex i prefer the FF85wk.

dave

Dave, could you tell me what's wrong with LR4 :flame: ?

Steen Duelund had this to say about the LR4:
Steen Duelund in his paper said:
With this value the bandpass fades away and you get a 2-way 4th order filter.
It is well known as the Linkwitz Riley solution (squared Butterworth).
The Q-value is 0.707 and will give ringing in the step response. This is heard as a focussing on the instrument(s), minimising the recorded sound from the surroundings.

That let to him to design his own filter schematic, using a filler driver to get rid of the ringing. More in his paper: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/273524-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor-12.html#post4318945

Not a solution for fast, but an interesting view on LR4.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.