Plans for L Cao F6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2015, 10:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Plans for L Cao F6

What enclosures would people recommend for the L Cao F6? I see a few other people have used them in Karlsonators, what other options are there please? I believe the FHXL would be "OK", but not great, any other ideas please? I've not found any enclosure plans specifically for this driver. Specs are here:

L.Cao LAOCAO F6 6? 12W Full Range High Sensitive Speaker W/ Paper Cone
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:39 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

It works well in a mini Karlsonator 6. I think I have modeled it and Freddi has used it as such and reports good reviews.
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:07 PM   #3
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

its a nice little driver and quite extended on top for not using a whizzer cone.
Old 2nd February 2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Drivers with similar specs are typically good in a TQWT or Metronome.

It probably wouldn't be horrible in a simple reflex either, though it'd likely sound a little warm and fuzzy.
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:31 PM   #5
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

PS. I don't see why it wouldn't work in an FH3, provided it is about the right size.
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:55 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

People are still trying drivers in the FHXL, it is the right size. Large Vas and high Qt would likely mean more damping required.

When Scott gets back from his road-trip he might be convinced to do a sim.

dave
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave, as you can probably tell I'm certainly no cabinet designer but the qts and fs are quite a bit different from the Alpair 10.3 so I guess it might need some tweaks to the FHXL design for it to be optimal (or would it?).

I've seen the plots of the Karlsonator and they look very nice but I must admit I'm not a big fan of the aesthetics.

The metronomes look interesting but I'm not sure what dimensions are required.

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:34 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by df_genius View Post
Thanks Dave, as you can probably tell I'm certainly no cabinet designer but the qts and fs are quite a bit different from the Alpair 10.3 so I guess it might need some tweaks to the FHXL design for it to be optimal (or would it?).
The 1st driver that was tried in the FHXL other than an A10x was FE168eSigma, and the builder said they work fine. These are as different in T/S from the A10 as the LChao but in the other direction.

The FH3 had proven very tuneable for a wide range of drivers, i expect the same out of the FHXL. But i would get a sim before installing anything not proven

dave
Old 16th February 2015, 12:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

FAO Scott if you are back, anything to add please?
Old 17th February 2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

That's a nice looking driver - would be interested in listening impressions once it's hooked up.

I wonder if it would suit a... darn, can't remember what they're called... a box tall enough for 1/4 wave resonance with a port firing down on the floor
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!