Fullrange with dipole bass diy project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have always admired a Finnish-made Gradient Revolution speakers using coaxial (cardioid) with two dipole bass drivers each side (Revolution). This is a very fine sounding speaker I'd love to have...An other interesting alternativee would be something along the lines of Surreal Speakers design using TangBand W8-1772 fullrange drivers and three dipole bass drivers each side. This is also supposed to be a very good speaker.

Has anyone done similar diy speakers? if so care to share your design (cabinet plan and crossover design)? Especially, if it would be within reasonable cost level. I'd appreciate an opportunity to built something like this!

Look in this thread, we had several concepts tested. I would try to go with slot loaded open baffle and use a smaller full range deiver on top. No point in an 8in full range - it will have beaming and not as wide of a polar response.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/249984-cheap-fast-ob-literally.html

Not necessarily. I'm running in a pair of Alpair 12Ps, as satellites to a largish H Frame sub.
No noticable beaming here.
And the 8" driver pushes enough air for a crossover point of 80 hertz, no box, no baffle, with only a little eqing.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
An 8in driver has to beam - maybe not enough to bother you but it's unavoidable physics. Unless you put it behind a lens like a Karlson aperture. If you compare the polar of a 8in driver vs a 3.5in like TC9FD you will see what I mean. With the Vifa the reaponse up to 5kHz (critical for spatial imaging) the variation is less than 5dB at 45 deg off axis.

402193d1393334341-3-4-driver-very-good-dispersion-high-xmax-nautaloss-i-1-driver-polar-1m.png

The Alpair 12P driver appears to have a tweeter sized dustcover, from the manufacturer's description , somewhat decoupled from the cone.
Maybe that's why the treble disperses better than the 2 swan isodynamic types,Neo 3 pair, and two types of AMT tweeters I have at hand, it doesn't go as wide as either compression tweeter pair at hand, with 12" round waveguides, but it's near as extended and smoother.
My guess is that dustcap does most of the treble duty, and better than the one full range pair I have with a whizzer cone (Aucharm 4").
This is not an 8" disk transducing; the radiating diameter is only the width of a compact disc, with the dustcap/radiator, the treble is very acceptable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.