Mark Audio 7p vs. 10p - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2015, 03:54 AM   #1
mor2bz is offline mor2bz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mark Audio 7p vs. 10p

There has been a lot of discussion about these drivers. When comparing them
I can't understand why the efficiency rating is different for the two..... the curves look very much the same.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-4-full-range/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-6-full-range/
Old 27th January 2015, 04:21 AM   #2
Tom V is offline Tom V  United States
diyAudio Member

Because the 10p is bigger?
Old 27th January 2015, 04:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You have two different sizes here (among other things), hence why the different efficiency/sensitivity numbers.
I don't own them both, but I guess they are somewhat similar in the context of MA type of sound and performance, but very different on the other hand as they are different sizes and purpose/designed for. Bass would come to mind, slam/presence and maybe dispersion?
The curves won't tell you much, there have been euphoric threads about that and the way the data is published/measured. Take it more as another data about the driver, but not too serious.
Just my thoughts...
Old 29th January 2015, 02:28 AM   #4
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Because the sensitivity is usually given as an average of the SPL within a certain frequency range.

~Tom
Old 29th January 2015, 04:10 AM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I do happen to have both currently operating in my 5.1 system, and thanks to the Audyssey automated calibration procedure, the sensitivity difference is irrelevant.

I wonder if there is a more substantive question lurking - as in "sensitivity aside, what are your impressions when comparing the two?"

That the published graphs bear for the most part a general family resemblance probably speaks to Mark's acumen and experience. If there was only the approx 2dB difference at play, they could be expected to sound very similar - but in my experience, the over 20Hz difference in Fo, as well as other T/S parameter that I still don't understand, makes the 10P a much more versatile driver. In a full sized enclosure, such as FHXL, or a Pensil, etc, I could live with them quite happily. Well that's a bit disingenuous , as I recently upgraded to them from 7.2 &3s in the front row of modest HT system, and find the results overall more dynamic . And let's face it, the substantial audio signal processing present in surround program material might well render the smaller driver's advantage in areas of "finesse" , low level detail, DDR - whatever audiophile tweaked buzzwords you like, somewhat moot?

Or maybe that's just me

Hide this!Advertise here!