Fostex driver suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2015, 03:25 PM   #1
jjcarr is offline jjcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex driver suggestions

Ok, played with some Mark Audio drivers, nice, but I find the Fostex fe103en more revealing and better for my tastes. However, right now I'm only using them in the Fostex ported bookshelf. I'd like to upgrade. Don't need to fill a big room, and I have a sub. So, if imaging and soundstage are the primary requirements, what Fostex driver/enclosure would you recommend?

I'd like it to sound a little bigger than the setup I have now, was thinking about doing some Zigmahornets or a Metronome. But I'm also open to a nicer or larger Fostex driver, like maybe a FE108ez or maybe a bigger driver, if it offers more detail, imaging, and better soundstage. Also, efficiency isn't an issue, as I have plenty of power.

Last edited by jjcarr; 26th January 2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 26th January 2015, 04:07 PM   #2
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the MA 7.3 in a Frugel Horn at the moment, and had a pair of FE126e in a small box. I found the 126 to be more 'in your face' than the 7.3, with the 7.3 more relaxed and detailed. The 7.3 also has better bass, but that is also due to the cabinet making better use of what there is.

I also have a sub, but haven't used it yet with the Frugel Horns even though it is all in the same system now. I should just turn it on and see how it sounds, but I was really looking at the FH to be standalones elsewhere in my house.
Old 26th January 2015, 05:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Imaging & soundstage are largely subjective without qualification, so YMMV on that score. I would not go down the Zigmahornet route: it looks pretty with that very narrow baffle, but as a load it's not great even for the driver it was designed for, with little useful LF output.

If you want 'big' a back-horn of some description is usually the way forward. Fostex's own for the 103 isn't one of their better efforts however, but there are a few others lurking around.

Me, I like the FX120, but it's a different balance to the 103. The latter has been a cult unit for five decades, so if you like what it does, I'd probably stick with it, or possibly go for the Anniversary model to celebrate the fact.
Old 26th January 2015, 05:40 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

For a BLH for the FE103, the Buschorn Mk I might be worth a look - it was a good enough basis for Ed Schilling's Horn - just enlarge the driver chamber to accommodate the larger driver ( to approx 108mm / 4.25" high for the FE126 for example) .

Of the current Fostex line-up, you could also consider the WK series - I've heard 4 of the five models (i.e. all except the 225), and while the smallest 2 will still struggle to deliver "Full" range bandwidth at anything approaching "realistic" levels, I could probably live with any of them.

FX120 is gorgeously made, and to my ears a more natural balance than the 103, but at $144 ea are getting a bit steep, and to echo Dr Moose YMMV

I heard a pair of Zigmahornets with the original Merrill DCA4 drivers at one of the VSAC shows (2003?), and they were frankly, "meh"
Attached Images
File Type: gif bhorn.gif (23.4 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by chrisb; 26th January 2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 26th January 2015, 05:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If price were no object, and I wanted to stick to a Fostex driver, which would you prefer?
Old 26th January 2015, 05:48 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
If price were no object, and I wanted to stick to a Fostex driver, which would you prefer?

F120A
Old 26th January 2015, 05:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What does that one do better?
Old 26th January 2015, 06:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I guess a better question would be, how does the FX120 driver compare with say the FE108ez? They are priced comparably, and both seem to be "higher end" for Fostex drivers.
Old 26th January 2015, 06:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
I guess a better question would be, how does the FX120 driver compare with say the FE108ez?
The FX120 will produce some bass.

jeff
Old 26th January 2015, 06:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

How does the imaging of the FX120 compare to the FE108?

Hide this!Advertise here!