Fostex driver suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, played with some Mark Audio drivers, nice, but I find the Fostex fe103en more revealing and better for my tastes. However, right now I'm only using them in the Fostex ported bookshelf. I'd like to upgrade. Don't need to fill a big room, and I have a sub. So, if imaging and soundstage are the primary requirements, what Fostex driver/enclosure would you recommend?

I'd like it to sound a little bigger than the setup I have now, was thinking about doing some Zigmahornets or a Metronome. But I'm also open to a nicer or larger Fostex driver, like maybe a FE108ez or maybe a bigger driver, if it offers more detail, imaging, and better soundstage. Also, efficiency isn't an issue, as I have plenty of power.

Last edited:
I have the MA 7.3 in a Frugel Horn at the moment, and had a pair of FE126e in a small box. I found the 126 to be more 'in your face' than the 7.3, with the 7.3 more relaxed and detailed. The 7.3 also has better bass, but that is also due to the cabinet making better use of what there is.

I also have a sub, but haven't used it yet with the Frugel Horns even though it is all in the same system now. I should just turn it on and see how it sounds, but I was really looking at the FH to be standalones elsewhere in my house.

Imaging & soundstage are largely subjective without qualification, so YMMV on that score. I would not go down the Zigmahornet route: it looks pretty with that very narrow baffle, but as a load it's not great even for the driver it was designed for, with little useful LF output.

If you want 'big' a back-horn of some description is usually the way forward. Fostex's own for the 103 isn't one of their better efforts however, but there are a few others lurking around.

Me, I like the FX120, but it's a different balance to the 103. The latter has been a cult unit for five decades, so if you like what it does, I'd probably stick with it, or possibly go for the Anniversary model to celebrate the fact.

For a BLH for the FE103, the Buschorn Mk I might be worth a look - it was a good enough basis for Ed Schilling's Horn - just enlarge the driver chamber to accommodate the larger driver ( to approx 108mm / 4.25" high for the FE126 for example) .

Of the current Fostex line-up, you could also consider the WK series - I've heard 4 of the five models (i.e. all except the 225), and while the smallest 2 will still struggle to deliver "Full" range bandwidth at anything approaching "realistic" levels, I could probably live with any of them.

FX120 is gorgeously made, and to my ears a more natural balance than the 103, but at $144 ea are getting a bit steep, and to echo Dr Moose YMMV

I heard a pair of Zigmahornets with the original Merrill DCA4 drivers at one of the VSAC shows (2003?), and they were frankly, "meh"

Attachments

• bhorn.gif
    bhorn.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
The FE108EZ has a really beautiful and musical yet detailed sound, but it's basically a compression driver. Forget about getting any bass or lower mids from it without horn loading.

Haven't heard the FX120 but I used to have a pair of FX200, the now extinct big brother. I'd expect a similar signal quality to the Sigmas - ie, lively detailed and lifelike. The better Fostex drivers are, well, better.

The FX120 is optimized for bass reflex, so frequencies below ~3-400hz won't be MIA if not placed in a horn or supplemented by a helper woofer. I'd still go for a metronome over reflex if you have the space. Another one to consider is the FF125WK, or of course the F120A if you got lots of money. :D

Sounds like a Metronome with either the FE108ez or FZ120 would be the way to go, likely the latter. It looks like one advantage is I can do both with a separate Metronome for each.

The FE108EZ will need a correction network or EQ in a Met. The Metronome is really more comparable to a reflex box, and it's not going to fill out the lower mids* like a back horn with a compression chamber.

*(octave from low to middle C by my definition)

If I get really bored in the next couple days, maybe I'll try the FE108EZ in my Karlsonators. That might actually work.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
For a BLH for the FE103, the Buschorn Mk I might be worth a look - it was a good enough basis for Ed Schilling's Horn - just enlarge the driver chamber to accommodate the larger driver ( to approx 108mm / 4.25" high for the FE126 for example) .

The last page of the Frugel-Horn Mk1 has just such a plan (anyone really interested email me). But the FH3 is a better speaker and supports FE103 fine.

I found the FE103En somehwta dissapointing. We have it in Vampyr-V. The FF105wk (FF105wKeN) that were in that box previously were better. Chris has got the FE103 Sol for initial testing.

My favorite 2 Fostex are the FF85wKeN and FF105wKeN, Larger driver gives up a little DDR for more bass. The FX120 is also very good, but i found it a bit understated/undynamic.

dave

My favorite 2 Fostex are the FF85wKeN and FF105wKeN, Larger driver gives up a little DDR for more bass. The FX120 is also very good, but i found it a bit understated/undynamic.

dave

Out of curiosity, have you tried the FX120 in the FH3 yet?

For whatever reason and fWIW, the FX200 sounded drastically more lively in a TQWT, and drastically more mellow in a reflex. Sure, this is always the case to a degree, but it was extremely pronounced in with the FX200 for some reason. Thin cone material or something?

What does that one do better?

It has an alnico magnet - which as we all know is transcendentally magic ;) - actually, all snark aside, there is something ineffable about the midrange on these

It's been a while, and I never did have the opportunity to directly compare any of the two 120s, or 108EZ to each other, but of the three, I'd pick the FX120 as most flexible. As for "best bang for the buck" in that size range, I would probably pick the FF125WK - half the cost of the lowest priced of the others.

FH3 has proven to be very flexible as to drivers, there's probably no reason the 108 wouldn't "work" - I just wouldn't expect the LF extension from it that the Alpair7 delivers in spades.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.