XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

hey X -- between an XKi and Karlsonator - which do you think might have the best result with Beta8cx? - - a Karlsonator 8 seems large enough to accommodate several different drivers with good performance. An XKi 60 liter for Beta10cx (and 1772) is another consideration to compare with Beta10cx in Karlsonator12 and 0.62 scale K15. Which would you pick for a new K?

is there a good XKi alignment for Eminence's Delta 10A which would beat a K12 or scaled K15? - - my pc with all software and graphs died w/o any backup - I need drivers for WT3 and TrueRTA:(

Delta 10A seems to have a lot of coloration but perhaps a proper lowpass would take care of that as it or its neo cousin has been used in Econowave builds

Glad it is working out for you. As I recall, the snap on transients is pretty nice with the PA130-8. I made a video of a candle flame being blown out by the upper K aperture air flow from sound of a stand up bass plucks. From the relatively high fs and low xmax spec for this driver you would not think it to be such a good bass performer. But it is.

Here is link to video again for those who missed it. Change asc extension to mov to watch.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...tio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-candle.asc

I taped a strip of paper towel at the top point of the opening. It is fun to watch it dance around.

Hi Jerms, I got the 8 ohm just cos it's easy with everything else, I hadn't realised the 4 ohm were lower. I paid £39 pair from Lean, who also happen to be only a few miles away :).

Another UK based supplier to add to my favourites list. :)

I've taken to getting quotes off PartsExpress website and comparing... Where items are available both sides of the big pond.

J.

I need a plug and wire to fit a Breeze TPA3116's power jack to play with my toy using a drill or weedwhacker battery - anyone know that size?

P7eYYax.jpg

I'd like an XKi as a "horn beater" - a 10" coax/woofer + K-tube -
K-tube or certainly 12" coax/woofer + K-tube should be able to play quite well dynamically and reach deep enough to follow bass lines and give adequate weight. Beta10cx (as does 12LTA, and Nirvana super 10) plays quite well in the Karlsonator12 but it would be nice to have a smaller package. My little 0.62 scaled K15 is pretty good but would be nice to have a bit more LF reach.

these PA130 XKi really kick with a stock Breeze TPA3116 - big dynamics on a Tennessee Ernie Ford gospel cd with choir, upright bass, vocal quartet - great overall on vocals - the upright bass sounds "natural" - - some old recordings have a lot more dynamic range than modern ones. I might try a couple of temporary struts to the wings.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Beautiful! Running PA130-9's in parallel for 4ohm load should get circa 96dB at 2.83v!

Can't wait to hear listening impressions. Lining the back side of the K aperture with felt, as well as the down-angled upper wall above the drivers, and the front triangular shaped sidewalls seems to improve sound clarity. I have used the BASF made magic sponges as sound absorbers and they work very well. Felt may actually be better but kind of unsightly on visible parts of cabinet.

At 96dB for 2.83v might make this the perfect speaker for the Pass ACA amp. I have built one channel so far and love its bass capability. They run hot! My first class A amp and it is only 5w but feels almost like a space heater. It's neat to make it yourself and get good sound from so few parts.

538267d1458324713-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-aca-build-3.png

Attachments

• ACA-build-3.png
    ACA-build-3.png
    510.1 KB · Views: 1,314
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Beautiful! Running PA130-9's in parallel for 4ohm load should get circa 96dB at 2.83v!

Can't wait to hear listening impressions. Lining the back side of the K aperture with felt, as well as the down-angled upper wall above the drivers, and the front triangular shaped sidewalls seems to improve sound clarity. I have used the BASF made magic sponges as sound absorbers and they work very well. Felt may actually be better but kind of unsightly on visible parts of cabinet.

At 96dB for 2.83v might make this the perfect speaker for the Pass ACA amp. I have built one channel so far and love its bass capability. They run hot! My first class A amp and it is only 5w but feels almost like a space heater. It's neat to make it yourself and get good sound from so few parts.

538267d1458324713-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-aca-build-3.png

So I had to try out the ACA with my XKi fitted with a modified PA130-8 (a coax) called the Daytonator.

538446d1458362705-amp-camp-amp-aca-aca-build-10-xki-pa130-coax-fan.png

They are a great match up - sounds wonderful. Nice deep rich bass and excellent mids and highs.

what are the general differences in "tone", etc. for K's with vertical double stacked drivers vs a single driver? does it sound as clear? - - what is happening dispersion-wise for the two drivers? This double PA130 cabinet's aspect and aperture are very nice looking and still relatively compact.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The dual Vifa K'nator is 91dB at 2.83v (nonminal 4ohm parallel load). Bass goes to 50Hz f3 and is perhaps some of the best.

For dual PA130-8 they are nominal 90dB so will be circa 96dB at 2.83v. I have not personally modeled the dual driver XKi with PA130 yet but Srednivashtar can tell you what his sims predict. I suspect it is 60Hz by as low as K'nator since PA130's are lower Q with fs in 80Hz range.

Last edited:
I am a novice at this but here is the output from Akabak. Also attached is my Akabak script, based upon xrk971's script for the single driver cabinet. I played with the dimensions to get the bass as deep and flat as possible. I added an acoustic mass at each end of the duct to account for the right angle bend and perpendicular mouth (this increases the effective length of the duct)

Using a tone generator, there is reasonable bass down to 45Hz, where it falls off the cliff. Bass drums sound fantastic. I still haven't got the final wings on - experimenting with some foamboard at the moment to get the shape right.

Apologies for the metric.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• xki-pa130x2a.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 95