Mounting depth CHR 70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2015, 01:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mounting depth CHR 70

Just a quickie:

I'm building a pair of p10 microtowers using the CHR 70.

I'm yet to decide if I should get the gen 2 (in stock with the Australian distributor) or gen 3 (from usa). In the meanwhile, I need to put some holes in the front baffle...(always easier before it gets joined to the rest of the cab.

So, anyway, the datasheet says 6mm for a flush fit, but I did read that they come with a 2mm gasket that doesn't compress well? which would make it 8mm.

I don't really use gaskets - do I need to for this driver?
Old 21st January 2015, 02:02 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes you need the gasket. I have seen a number of versionsof gasket that i have seen with these.

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/marka...ons-240611.pdf

dave
Old 21st January 2015, 02:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave - 7 (ish) mm it is.

Will post some pics (and thoughts) of these and the curvy changs (with BOFU) when they are a bit more presentable (read... "imperfections sanded out!"). Getting excited for life after brand name big box multiways which cost way too much....

These are a bit of fun - had some 15mm ply left over from another project. Just need to decide on the driver (Gen 2 or Gen 3). Unfortunately the AU $ the way it is, the Gen 3s are AU $150 landed. Locally the Gen 2 can be had for $105 shipped locally but the Gen 3 will be around $125 shipped locally when they (eventually get some). I kind of think I just answered my own question a bit in all of that.
Old 21st January 2015, 04:17 AM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Does NZ work for you?

MOD-Loudspeakers - Shop
Old 21st January 2015, 12:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The gasket is definitely needed, the frames are quite a bit different to what metal framed drivers have. Well I suppose there are other methods of sealing too, though Mark has worked specifically on the element to provide you with a part for the application so... you ignore it at your own peril I'd say.

I was stuck in this situation about a year ago and asked similar questions, though never really received an answer that made me happy (from here or the dist at the time) so I never bought any MA drivers when I was in Australia.

Perhaps for the better... Some time later I got the opportunity to trial the CHR70.3 against the Alpair 7 and realised the CHR wasn't what I wanted to spend my money on at all. Would the CHR70.2 have been what I wanted? I will never know, nobody really described it that way. (coincidentally I shifted out of Australia to a country where MA drivers are plentiful)

Sorry, perhaps not so much help there.
Old 21st January 2015, 05:47 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I believe that the final compressed thickness of Mark's gaskets may have changed over the years, and certainly are different material for the Alpair series than with the CH, et al. - so a test fit on scraps never hurts ( MDF is good for something, after all )

One mistake to avoid is to over-torque the mounting screws to attempt to fully compress the gasket - this ain't the cylinder head for a Jag V12 engine.

Though Mark would appreciate that reference
Old 22nd January 2015, 08:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Does NZ work for you?

MOD-Loudspeakers - Shop
The satin black is nice!

Hide this!Advertise here!