Yet another Zaph Hi-Vi B3S Build - Design Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2015, 05:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Yet another Zaph Hi-Vi B3S Build - Design Questions

Hello Everyone (first post), In a couple months, I will have to spend several weeks, mostly alone, in an industrial complex, programming and setting up servers. I plan to build a decent semi-portable sound system to make it more bearable. I'd like to build a set of the Zaph BS3 sealed speakers, a sub woofer, and make them as portable as possible. I am in the planning stages. My music collection will be on my phone, so I plan to incorporate a blue tooth receiver. The whole thing, as I imagine it, will look like this: Bluetooth->Crossover Network?->a pair of TPA3116 Amplifiers, one of which will be parallel bridged for 100W into a 2Ohm subwoofer, one as stereo into the Zaph BS3 pair. I haven't started desigining the sub-woofer at all. The crossover is where I am having trouble. I would rather filter before the amps, of course, but am not sure how to accomplish it. Would a 1st or 2nd order, passive, crossover network at 150Hz be enough, or do I need to incorporate an active crossover? If a simple passive network will suffice, how should it be constructed? If this is the wrong subforum, moderators, feel free to move it. Thanks very much, J-Dubya
Old 20th January 2015, 09:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You could go with a miniDSP or similar; as an alternative, you might simply want to just use a cheap plate amp with built in low-pass XO for the sub. Usually plenty around so worth considering.
Old 20th January 2015, 10:18 AM   #3
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Those BT units don't have enough oomph to drive a passive line level XO (PLLXO) and they have a lot of noise pickup and group loop issues. You will need a voltage isolated DC to DC converter to power them from same power supply or it will hum. Look for a $5 part made by Murata to do this. MiniDSP is the way to go if you can afford it. Plate amps as suggested above are good too. This level of piece parts costs you might as well buy a $200-$300 portable BT speaker with built in sub. Very tough to make one cheaper that will sound as good as a $300 Soundfreaq, Jawbone Jambox, Bose, etc.

My suggestion if you want to save on money and maximize sound quality: skip the BT and get the TPA3116 2.1 amp with sub out. Put a passive speaker level high pass cap on the satellites.

Last edited by xrk971; 20th January 2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 20th January 2015, 12:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you Scottmoose and xrk971. I had been looking at the 2.1 TPA3116D2 amps and wondering if they could be modified by adding LC networks right to the board, as I suspect that it has no subwoofer filtering as it is. I will also look at plate amps with the onboard XO. I'll post back as things progress.
Old 20th January 2015, 02:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

One more option is to use a 4 channel headphone amp as a high power buffer low impedance driver. They are quite low noise and transparent with capability to drive 50 ohm loads, each with own level setting. Use this and separate LLPXO networks (HPF and LPF) for the tops and sub with 2 amps for tops and sub (dual voice coil).

For example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...MA7KJ6AKN084C9

or

Amazon.com: rolls HA43PRO 4 CH Headphone Amp: Musical Instruments

Use second order circuits from here, assume TPA3116D2 is 30kohms input impedance when set at 26dB gain.

TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Pursuing the idea of using a dual voice coil subwoofer with a 2.1 amp or just two seperate tpa3116d2 amps... I was thinking that an 8" subwoofer paired with the 3" full ranges would be about right. Any suggestions for a subwoofer and or design? I am not finding anything that has two 4 ohm voice coils or one 2 ohm coil. Also, is the reason for using a pre-amp because normal sources don't provide enough power to effectively use a passive preamp filter or because they need complete seperation?
Old 22nd January 2015, 01:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Normal RCA "line level" is 2 volts. The 3116 at 26dB needs 2 volts to hit the rail. A PLLXO attenuates the voltage quite a bit - about 10 to 15 dB depending on configuration. So you need something that drives it with more voltage and is a low inpedance source.
Old 22nd January 2015, 01:13 PM   #8
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member

From memory the Zaph design naturally rolls off at around 100 or 150 Hz doesn't it? So you might get away with their natural roll off without any crossover and a sub below that.

If you're not too fussy about the bass, they are actually quite good on their own. I painted my house once and had mine playing in the bigger rooms with an old 70's Pioneer SX424 receiver and was really pleased with the sound. This is my bedroom music system.

Hide this!Advertise here!