Modifying uFonken for 3D printing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering the possibility of modifying the uFonken design to allow 3D printing the cabinet. Since many desktop printers have build volumes in the 200x200x200mm it's already very close to a printable size. By reducing the height to <200mm and increasing the width, the internal volume could be maintained and it should be printable. However, not being an expert, I'm not sure what dimensions are critical.

My initial idea is just to shorten the cabinet by 30mm and increase the depth by an appropriate amount, while making sure not to change the internal volume, port geometry, or front baffle width.

Can anyone with more expertise than me (which is likely anyone on this forum) comment on the feasibility of this?

I have the software to model this up, and if the results are good, I'd be happy to share the design.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The volume and the vent are the critical bits, but you cannot increase the depth without affecting the vent, since the end of the vent shelf and the back are part of the vent. That can be adjusted.

Contact me directly and we can work out the details....

My fantasy enclosure manufacture is using nanobots in zero gravity to build the enclosure, 3D printing is conceptually quite similar so i have some real interest in exploring this.

dave

It'll be interesting to track the final cost for these - and whether any demand develops for mass production of similar designs small enough to be practical for "affordable" 3D printers

Working in an old school commercial millwork manufacturing business, I can't help but consider amortization of wear and tear on the production equipment, and what the operational life span of such consumer grade machines might be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.