Good compact enclosure for FE166en to survive student life? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2015, 12:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to monty78pig
Default Good compact enclosure for FE166en to survive student life?

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on building a pair of bookshelf speakers with Fostex FE166en drivers as they are fairly easy to get hold of and also quite efficient (my amp is only 10 watts). General consensus also seems to dictate that they are the best in the FE range .

However looking at the recommended enclosures on the datasheet the bass reflex enclosure is 45cm tall which isn't exactly small. Is there any way to make it a little shorter, would using a passive radiator instead of a reflex port help?

I'm an absolute n00b when it comes to loudspeaker design so don't hate .
Old 14th January 2015, 12:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

IMO the wrong driver for a bass reflex bookshelf speaker. If you like the Fostex sound, the FF165WK would be a better choice.

Bob
Old 14th January 2015, 12:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ah, OK. Why is it not good for a bass reflex speaker? What sort of enclosure would you use?
Old 14th January 2015, 12:51 PM   #4
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

It is a very low Qts and has limited xmax - so would be best used in a back loaded horn to extract the bass and control cone motion. The Fostex literature recommends a 15L enclosure for a bass reflex and it only tuned down to 65Hz.
Click the image to open in full size.

A BLH on the other hand will go deeper but be big.
Old 14th January 2015, 01:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Following up of xrk, no bass and you will have to do something about the rising response. In a BR the FE166En will sound thin and very hot on top. This driver was designed for a back horn, The FF165WK was designed for bass reflex.

Bob
Old 14th January 2015, 01:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I see, at a glance the frequency response of the FF165WK drops off quite heavily past 10KHz, could I add a tweeter to compensate for this?

It would of course necessitate an extra amplifier and active crossover though.

Are there any other 6" full range drivers that would be good for this application?

I'm learning... Slowly
Old 14th January 2015, 02:41 PM   #7
Account disabled at member's request

Yes, of course you can add a tweeter if you wish. Whether you feel the need is another question -you may find yourself happy as-is, although I'd prefer to use it with LF support.

Adding a tweeter does not require an additional amplifier and an active crossover. You can simply use a passive crossover, which may, depending on implementation, be as simple as a single capacitor and a padding resistor.

Fostex's En series units (from the 126 upward anyway) were designed primarily with an eye to their being used in back-horns with high output impedance amplification, or correction to provide similar results.

As for other units in roughly that size bracket, Tang Band, Mark Audio, Dayton, Supravox, Audio Nirvana and even Vifa (there are others too) have one or several units you may wish to look at. Depends how much you want to spend.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 14th January 2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 14th January 2015, 03:01 PM   #8
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

It was used in the Karlsonator 6 prototype - I didn't get to hear it as the driver got ruined in a basement flood. Put grill cloth on it for protection

a large plan can be downloaded at the following link under "More"
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...49816297868412

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 14th January 2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 14th January 2015, 03:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the great advice guys, I've now got my eye on the Markaudio Alpair-10P, as well as the FF165WK but I'm a little peturbed by what happens to it's frequency response post 10KHz.

I've done a bit more research - can someone tell me whether this is a good idea? https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...0-BR-cover.pdf

I don't have much woodworking experience so would prefer to go with a simple bass reflex, or a double chambered bass reflex type enclosure, the Karlsonator looks good, but it's a little too complex for me and also a little too big. I'm really looking for something I can put on the windowsills in front of my desk about a metre or so away from me.

Quote:
Fostex's En series units (from the 126 upward anyway) were designed primarily with an eye to their being used in back-horns with high output impedance amplification, or correction to provide similar results.
So single ended valve amplifiers?

Also in regards to protective grills are aluminium mesh types a no-go?

I'm really looking for something simple, with fairly good efficiency (90dB @ 1W or so) that won't be too bulky .
Old 14th January 2015, 03:47 PM   #10
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

if not already purchased, then an Alpair should be a consideration - I've not yet owned one but they're highly regarded

Hide this!Advertise here!