Speaker halp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2015, 05:36 AM   #1
beaner is offline beaner  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: British Columbia
Default Speaker halp

Been spending the last couple of days looking at full range designs for a k-12 tube kit. Tonnes of info but I think I'm more confused now than I was when I started.

First I'm looking for a a speaker to stay below 24" tall, and something different than a standard bass reflex cabinet.

I stumbled across some builds for the TABAQ while looking up back-load horn designs, which look really nice but youtube doesn't seem to have much for listening, and looking at the sensitivity might struggle on a 8w amp, unless somebody can chime in.

Fostex has me rather interested. I've seen some vids on the fe103 and the fe126, but am either too tired or am typing in the wrong key words. I can't seem to find much information pertaining to designs for cabinets. Which brings me to a question. Can you put a Fostex fe103 into a TABAQ designed cabinet?

I don't have experience in designing a ground up enclosure, so I've been looking at the tried and tested stuff. Anybody able to push me in the right direction or comment on Fostex in TABAQ box?
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 12:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
chris661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sheffield
Blog Entries: 8
The FE126 can drop into a folded Voigt pipe that was around here a while back. Think it was the Reference thread. Was about the size of a large shoebox.

Lots of output with low power (I used a 6EM7 SET), and enough low-end for girl+guitar type music.
Add BSC if you're not so keen on the Fostex FE's signature sound, but it really wasn't bad for what it was. I prefer the likes of Bon Jovi and other loud stuff, so had to go multiway.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 04:09 PM   #3
beaner is offline beaner  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
The FE126 can drop into a folded Voigt pipe that was around here a while back. Think it was the Reference thread. Was about the size of a large shoebox.

Lots of output with low power (I used a 6EM7 SET), and enough low-end for girl+guitar type music.
Add BSC if you're not so keen on the Fostex FE's signature sound, but it really wasn't bad for what it was. I prefer the likes of Bon Jovi and other loud stuff, so had to go multiway.

Chris
That's kinda my problem. I listen to just about everything from country to classical depending on my mood. My main system is changing to an htguide Natalie P MTM design so I'm hoping to keep the majority of my listening on that. This will be the bedroom system with sort of the same listening but not as much.

I spent a couple of extra hours past when I wanted to go to bed researching the Karlson design after I stumbled upon that. Looks like the Karlson 6 with a fe166 might be a good option. Not overly big but continues with a high sensitivity driver.

I then looked at some Mark Audio drivers, and the 12p caught my interest. Will have to see what's out there for that driver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 05:23 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
beaner; to get the most from 12P requires rather large enclosures, and unless its sensitivity is an absolute must - something I'd assume to not be the case in a bedroom system - if you're considering any of the Alpairs, either of the 10s should be worth looking at. They can work quite well in much smaller boxes and deliver deeper bass.

At an even more compact size - almost directly comparable to the FE126 in fact, take a look at the CHN70 - and don't let its price fool you, I find it to be rather an over achiever.

There are lots of already tried and true enclosure designs for Mark's entire line, ranging from compact desktop sized BR / labyrinths, to floorstanding MLTLs and BLH.
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 05:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
vinylkid58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
12p Super Pencils in the bedroom?

jeff
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 06:00 PM   #6
beaner is offline beaner  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
beaner; to get the most from 12P requires rather large enclosures, and unless its sensitivity is an absolute must - something I'd assume to not be the case in a bedroom system - if you're considering any of the Alpairs, either of the 10s should be worth looking at. They can work quite well in much smaller boxes and deliver deeper bass.

At an even more compact size - almost directly comparable to the FE126 in fact, take a look at the CHN70 - and don't let its price fool you, I find it to be rather an over achiever.

There are lots of already tried and true enclosure designs for Mark's entire line, ranging from compact desktop sized BR / labyrinths, to floorstanding MLTLs and BLH.
8w tube amp. I figured I'd need something at least 91db to make some decent sound. The bedroom is rather large too. room is 13x19. I'll have a look at your suggestion, but more and more I'm drawn to those Karlsons.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 07:24 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
12p Super Pencils in the bedroom?

jeff
indeed would be a conversation starter - "not in our room you don't, honey"


Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
8w tube amp. I figured I'd need something at least 91db to make some decent sound. The bedroom is rather large too. room is 13x19. I'll have a look at your suggestion, but more and more I'm drawn to those Karlsons.
That's not really that large a room, and there are lots of folks in this forum quite happy with decent sound from simpler enclosures, drivers rated under 90dB and that same amount of power - or less - but of course your expectations and mileage may vary.
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 10:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
chris661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sheffield
Blog Entries: 8
You really don't need 91dB@1w to get a decent amount of sound out. 95% of my listening is done at <1w/ch through some Behringer B2031Ps, which come in around the mid-80s IIRC. For full disclosure, there's also a 800w 2x12" subwoofer, but I've no idea how much power that's using - the amp only has clip lights.

A member called Toppsy here did a pair of standmount ported cabinets for Alpair 12Ps (I think). I reckon they'd be perfect for what you're after.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 11:24 AM   #9
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
I don't have experience in designing a ground up enclosure, so I've been looking at the tried and tested stuff. Anybody able to push me in the right direction or comment on Fostex in TABAQ box?
The FE126en has a low Qts suitable for back loaded horns and will not achieve low bass in a TABAQ like MLTL. You want a moderate Qts driver circa 0.4 to 0.6 to have best performance in MLTL. If you want higher sensitivity with correct Qts for a TABAQ look at Faital Pro 3FE22 or 3FE25. Probably a drop in replacement. You could go four inch 4FE32 but no need to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 06:36 AM   #10
beaner is offline beaner  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
You really don't need 91dB@1w to get a decent amount of sound out. 95% of my listening is done at <1w/ch through some Behringer B2031Ps, which come in around the mid-80s IIRC. For full disclosure, there's also a 800w 2x12" subwoofer, but I've no idea how much power that's using - the amp only has clip lights.

A member called Toppsy here did a pair of standmount ported cabinets for Alpair 12Ps (I think). I reckon they'd be perfect for what you're after.

Chris
Those 12p stand mounters look nice, but wonder how the low end extension will be. I don't mind a bit bigger box. Spent the last day reading the karlson threads. Think I might toss a FE166en into a Karlsonator 6 cabinet. Those speakers just look neat.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Flat Panel Speaker 2x2 speaker set for sale (3800 sets) Tenacious Vendor's Bazaar 0 18th June 2010 01:17 AM
FS: Niles HDS-6L speaker selector w/ speaker protection. Spasticteapot Swap Meet 0 28th May 2006 12:14 AM
Possibly Dumb Question: Sub on a Shoe String. HALP! RobAche Subwoofers 66 11th December 2003 11:41 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2015 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2