IS there a wide band driver like the Fostex Fe126en drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I am looking for a wide band driver like the full range driver Fostex Fe 126 en's. I am looking at paper still and has a cast frame and can play up to 10khz with no problems. It's DB can be the same as the Fe 126en drivers and it can be the same size or up to 5 inch's. I am in the market and I am looking for a type of driver but, maybe I didn't look deep enough? Mr. Daniel

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you are OK with running them high passed above 250Hz, look at the PRV 5MR450NDY. It has 95dB sensitivity, has a cast frame and Nd motor, uses a paper cone, sounds very smooth up to 15kHz, ultra low distortion, and can handle 225 watts. The 4ohm version has 98dB sensitivity. They work well in sealed, OB, or front horn loaded applications. I have used them in all the above and they sound fantastic. They also have 2.5mm of xmax vs the sub-mm xmax that the FE126eN has.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/259293-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications.html

Budget?

If you don't mind a stamped frame slightly thicker than that on the Fostex, how about the Mark Audio CHN70? At $27 ea almost half the cost of the 126, and to my mind too bloody cheap not to play with at least once, and certainly not a painful listen.

The FX120 that Jeff mentioned is a very nice sounding driver, but at the $144 ea price range, I'd personally be looking at Alpair10P - "cast" frame is composite resin not metal. They certainly go past 10K, and in an appropriately sized box, well below 50 - although like most wide banders, seem to really shine when High Passed at or above THX's 80Hz . I run a trio in front row of HT 5.1 setup, and after a play session with weekend, re-ran the Audyssey XT32 set-up which "pre-selects" lowest recommended XOs to LFE, and it chose 50

Yeah, I'm rather a fan of Mark's drivers - both metal and paper.

Last edited:
>> Hey Jeff,
>> What are your cab dims for that BIB with that 5 inch dayton driver?
>> Thanks Scott

I'll measure them over the weekend (they are at my parents house) and report back. But I do remember designing them for the Fostex 127e.

Swapping drivers, the Dayton's have more bass (much more) than the Fostex but the Fostex are very balanced in BIBs. I'd consider the Dayton's in the BIB bass heavy but they sure do rock!

Maybe it's best to design a BIB specifically for the Dayton's for optimal results.

BIB Calculator | Speaker Projects by Zilla

Budget?

If you don't mind a stamped frame slightly thicker than that on the Fostex, how about the Mark Audio CHN70? At $27 ea almost half the cost of the 126, and to my mind too bloody cheap not to play with at least once, and certainly not a painful listen.

The FX120 that Jeff mentioned is a very nice sounding driver, but at the $144 ea price range, I'd personally be looking at Alpair10P - "cast" frame is composite resin not metal. They certainly go past 10K, and in an appropriately sized box, well below 50 - although like most wide banders, seem to really shine when High Passed at or above THX's 80Hz . I run a trio in front row of HT 5.1 setup, and after a play session with weekend, re-ran the Audyssey XT32 set-up which "pre-selects" lowest recommended XOs to LFE, and it chose 50

Yeah, I'm rather a fan of Mark's drivers - both metal and paper.

Thanks I will look into it. Your insights are always welcome. Mr. Daniel

>> Hey Jeff,
>> What are your cab dims for that BIB with that 5 inch dayton driver?
>> Thanks Scott

I'll measure them over the weekend (they are at my parents house) and report back. But I do remember designing them for the Fostex 127e.

Swapping drivers, the Dayton's have more bass (much more) than the Fostex but the Fostex are very balanced in BIBs. I'd consider the Dayton's in the BIB bass heavy but they sure do rock!

Maybe it's best to design a BIB specifically for the Dayton's for optimal results.

BIB Calculator | Speaker Projects by Zilla

Hi Jeff good to hear from you. I was wonder from past times with the Tang Band 4 inch bamboo that you did the project with is it better then the fostex driver? I have only heard them 1 time years ago. Tang Band sounds like a studio speaker and fostex sounds like a live sounding speaker but, again it has been years on the Tang Band drivers. Mr. Daniel

Mr Daniel, I feel the same as you. The TB sounds like a good two way with a soft treble. The Fostex is livelier. I enjoy both drivers but find them at the opposite ends of their spectrums. I feel the TB needs a tweeter or it sounds too dull. It’s has a more relaxed sound but it’s missing something on top (which can be improved with a tweeter but there's that disconnect in sound you get by adding drivers). The Fostex has more treble but needs careful toe in to enjoy without fatigue. Fatigue does eventually set in with the Fostex. Neither is perfect. Personally, I’d let the matching amp decide which will work best for you. Higher power works better with the TB. The driver needs to be pushed a little more to come alive. Low power for the Fostex which comes to life with a watt or two.

They are both good. Pick your poison.

Mr Daniel, I feel the same as you. The TB sounds like a good two way with a soft treble. The Fostex is livelier. I enjoy both drivers but find them at the opposite ends of their spectrums. I feel the TB needs a tweeter or it sounds too dull. It’s has a more relaxed sound but it’s missing something on top (which can be improved with a tweeter but there's that disconnect in sound you get by adding drivers). The Fostex has more treble but needs careful toe in to enjoy without fatigue. Fatigue does eventually set in with the Fostex. Neither is perfect. Personally, I’d let the matching amp decide which will work best for you. Higher power works better with the TB. The driver needs to be pushed a little more to come alive. Low power for the Fostex which comes to life with a watt or two.

They are both good. Pick your poison.

Glad to hear my ears are still in the normal. Also I agree with you 110%. Thanks again. Mr. Daniel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.