KarlD's FH XL Alpair 10.3M Copper build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2015, 03:23 PM   #1
KarlD is offline KarlD  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default KarlD's FH XL Alpair 10.3M Copper build

I finally took the plunge and ordered myself a pair of Markaudio drivers. This shall be my first DIY audio project that has actually got off the ground with me actually ordering something to start it off shall also be my first set of full rangers so am very excited on both accounts.

Drivers were supposed to arrive today but courier has let me down so they shall be arriving tomorrow.

I'm thinking of building a couple of small MDF boxes to break the speakers in with while building the FHXLs. What small box design should I use do you think?

Is there a break in procedure written up anywhere?
Old 6th January 2015, 03:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

congratulations with your decision!
You'll find MarkAudio drivers to be amazing value for money, if not one of the bests.
You must be prepared to wait min 200 hours of break in to fully evaluate your drivers.
Maybe this thread should be on Markaudio forum? There you'll find a couple of threads about break in.
good luck and happy listening!!!
Old 6th January 2015, 04:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston senac View Post
congratulations with your decision!
You'll find MarkAudio drivers to be amazing value for money, if not one of the bests.
You must be prepared to wait min 200 hours of break in to fully evaluate your drivers.
Maybe this thread should be on Markaudio forum? There you'll find a couple of threads about break in.
good luck and happy listening!!!
Thanks.

Yeah I think it's a good decision. The drivers are so unbelievably cheap that it would be rude NOT to build a pair. I'm aware of the amount of breaking in that they require so I thought if I put them in a simple box out the way somewhere and leave them running for a couple of weeks that'll get the boring bit out of the way haha.

I was planning on spending around 800 buying a used pair or 2 or 3 ways, but I don't think that there are many speakers out there that interest me at that price point. I can build these for a LOT less.

I have done a huge amount of reading up on these FHXLs and I think they should serve me just fine.

I'll hold off on signing up to another forum just yet. There is plenty of knowledge here that I can't even begin to get to grips with!
Old 6th January 2015, 05:10 PM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlD View Post
I'll hold off on signing up to another forum just yet. There is plenty of knowledge here that I can't even begin to get to grips with!
Actually what Gaston had meant is the Mark Audio section of the diyAudio forum.

No sign up required.
Old 6th January 2015, 05:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Actually what Gaston had meant is the Mark Audio section of the diyAudio forum.

No sign up required.
God I'm thick
Lol.
Old 6th January 2015, 05:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You know what, I think you are excited (and a bit impatient) about the build!
Old 6th January 2015, 05:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you have spare time and enough build material at your disposal, you can maybe build one of the BR boxes designed by Scottmoose.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/marka...-10-3-10p.html

Btw, even make shift small size open baffles are fine as long as the construction is stable and the drivers are safe from kiddos and pets (and nosy adults).

And hey, some folks do the driver break-within the shipping boxes. I myself have done it.
Old 6th January 2015, 05:40 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
You know what, I think you are excited (and a bit impatient) about the build!

the word is "chuffed", I think
Old 6th January 2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

I've found Mark Audio drivers to be some of the best I've used. A point to remember about them: in addition to the initial break-in, which is very important, they will continue to break-in for a few hundred hours more. As they are breaking in further, they'll continue to sound better. If you do a search for "Mark Audio break-in" you should get plenty of information.
Mike
Old 6th January 2015, 06:03 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The cardboard boxes they come in -- or just in a closet sitting on their magnets -- are sufficient for early breakin.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!