"sound bar" for top of Ikea Malm - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 31st December 2014, 01:44 PM   #1
peroz is offline peroz  Slovenia
diyAudio Member
Default "sound bar" for top of Ikea Malm

The furniture in question is like this:
Click the image to open in full size.

The idea is to make two speakers in one to place on top of this. Like two siamese horns joint in the base. The speakers would be a kind of transmission line, I don't know yet which one exactly.
The amp I have lying in the house is a Topping TP20, so the driver should be pretty sensitive.
Now my question or a request:
Can one of you please suggest small AND inexpensive drivers I could use in a system like this? I they are not very sensitive, I could just buy another amp and leave the topping in the drawer, I guess

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by peroz; 31st December 2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 31st December 2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Tom V is offline Tom V  United States
diyAudio Member
I had a design for something like this, never built, which took the geometry of the Micro Towers and stuck them end to end with the drivers on the outside and the vent in the middle. Take a look at the "halfTower wallMount ML-TL" and the Markaudio drivers, perhaps Chr-70 or Chn-70.

Old 31st December 2014, 05:37 PM   #3
peroz is offline peroz  Slovenia
diyAudio Member
I have CHR's in my FH3 and CHP seem to be non available in EU from Strassacker. Anyway, they don't "marry" well to Topping. LF just disappears. I was thinking more of the Fostex FE126En, but don't like the price. Even though it's not that expensive, it seems a bit steep for my first design and just occasional listening. So maybe something cheap and "good enough", and maybe even smaller?

On this occasion, I would like to wish you all to get almost the sound you want in 2015! Don't get too close, or you might lose interest in the hobby.
Old 1st January 2015, 07:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
Visaton FRS 8
Old 1st January 2015, 08:59 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
CHN70/Pensil? Sensitivity difference aside, I think you'd get wider bandwidth than with the FE126E, which really benefits for the LF gain of a BLH- and those that deliver better results with the Fostex can have have larger footprints than a simple MLTL
"Perception is a highly non-linear function" - Earl Geddes
Old 1st January 2015, 10:56 PM   #6
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
Faital Pro 3FE25's ($19 ea) and side by side dual chamber reflex (DCR) will have 91dB sensitivity and bass down to 55Hz. Can also be done with Vifa TC9FD ($12 ea) but 85dB sensitive. More pricey is Dayton RS100-4 ($27 ea) which are really well built and sound similar to previous drivers but has a relatively lower Qts which keeps cabinet smaller. Any of these drivers can be put in a 0.40x scale mini Karlsonator laid on its side end to end for a 6in high sound bar. This design has impressive bass and very full rich sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!