"sound bar" for top of Ikea Malm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The furniture in question is like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The idea is to make two speakers in one to place on top of this. Like two siamese horns joint in the base. The speakers would be a kind of transmission line, I don't know yet which one exactly.
The amp I have lying in the house is a Topping TP20, so the driver should be pretty sensitive.
Now my question or a request:
Can one of you please suggest small AND inexpensive drivers I could use in a system like this? I they are not very sensitive, I could just buy another amp and leave the topping in the drawer, I guess:)

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I have CHR's in my FH3 and CHP seem to be non available in EU from Strassacker. Anyway, they don't "marry" well to Topping. LF just disappears. I was thinking more of the Fostex FE126En, but don't like the price. Even though it's not that expensive, it seems a bit steep for my first design and just occasional listening. So maybe something cheap and "good enough", and maybe even smaller?

On this occasion, I would like to wish you all to get almost the sound you want in 2015! Don't get too close, or you might lose interest in the hobby. ;)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Faital Pro 3FE25's ($19 ea) and side by side dual chamber reflex (DCR) will have 91dB sensitivity and bass down to 55Hz. Can also be done with Vifa TC9FD ($12 ea) but 85dB sensitive. More pricey is Dayton RS100-4 ($27 ea) which are really well built and sound similar to previous drivers but has a relatively lower Qts which keeps cabinet smaller. Any of these drivers can be put in a 0.40x scale mini Karlsonator laid on its side end to end for a 6in high sound bar. This design has impressive bass and very full rich sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.