DIY speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2014, 04:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question DIY speakers

I have $600.00 to spend on "raw" drivers. I have a Realistic STA225 (100W) and am building a valve-amp 25W), that will take a while. I'd like to build something that I can use now, and would work with both. I can competently build the "boxes" but have lost the current "know" about drivers, I am old school and think Cerwin-Vega and Altec-Lansing are great. Any Help?
Old 22nd December 2014, 05:14 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Lots of choices.

If you really intended on being in the FR Forum, i'd suggest Frugel-Horn XL. Won't eat up your whole budget (unless you are patient enuff to wait for some MOAP Alpair 10.

Or maybe a FAST... a FR with a helper woofer. Our recent build of Alpair 7.3eN with twin 7" woofers is IMHO the best we have done.

dave
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Dave, did you have drawings for that FAST? I've just picked up some Alpair 7.3's and am considering either that or a Frugel Horn Mk3, but can't decide.
Old 22nd December 2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Jordan Eikonas would also fall within budget. It's a thoroughly modern driver but with design lineage that goes back to early British hi-fi. There is a range of enclosure designs on our website.
Old 22nd December 2014, 02:48 PM   #5
gvasale is offline gvasale  United States
diyAudio Member

$600 won't buy the Altec things you need. Likely more than double. Unless you find a really good local deal. GPA pretty much mirrors the Altec offerings and they are not inexpensive. Even with distressed goods things aren't cheap, meaning if you can find things to recone, sellers don't want to sacrifice their profits.
Old 22nd December 2014, 03:29 PM   #6
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

While you wait for your valve amp, enjoy your speakers with a TPA3116D2 or 3118 amp that many say sounds like a very good valve amp. 25 watts no problem and costs $50 all boxed up and ready to go. $15 if you just want the DIY board and connect yourself to a laptop brick ps.

$600 is a sizable budget for full range drivers. Tell us if you are looking for a cabinet that extracts bass acoustically and with simple electronics. Or are you open to more technology helping you get the best sound? Like active or passive crossovers and bi amping? This lets you go the FAST (full range assisted subwoofer technology)?

If you go the FAST bi amp route, I can say that the way to do it easily and quickly is with miniDSP and a pair of TPA3116D2 amps. Then add a good driver for the full range on top. The A7.3 has been mentioned already but I would add Vifa TC9FD (don't let the low price fool you - very smooth and low distortion), the Faital Pro 3FE25, or if you need lots of dynamic headroom and higher SPL go with PRV 5MR450NDY (300Hz and above use woofer below). For bass, pick your favorite and if using miniDSP sealed or open baffle with a pair of 12in bass drivers per side or a single 15in should do it. Go sealed or open baffle as ported has too much group delay. Look for large xmax at least 6mm to 8mm and moderate Qts.

If you want simplicity and single driver, many folks here love the A7.3, and the A10P. There are lots of nice drivers by Tang Band too: W4 bamboos and the W8-1772.

Good luck.
Old 22nd December 2014, 04:28 PM   #7
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are accustomed to the big speaker sound, I think you would enjoy these Metronomes with Fostex FF225WK drivers.
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:03 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

The FHXLs with either A10P or 10.3 metals mentioned earlier are also capable of producing a "big" sound for small $ - but as Dave intimated, the OP could have stumbled into this particular forum accidentally, and might need some convincing that a single driver system could meet his "old school" expectations - which I think at the end of the day needs to be experienced in the flesh.

I know that the initial audition of a well executed speaker of the type we speak of herein can creative some cognitive dissonance for some folks

Stuey - as for "design" for a FAST system - there are a couple of approaches; whether you need to go as far as a full 2-way - woofer(s) each side with HP to the FR units, as high as the mid hundreds - or as simple as a single powered sub with HP to the mains in the circa 100Hz range, rather depends on the application - i.e. room size etc.

Last edited by chrisb; 22nd December 2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 22nd December 2014, 08:35 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
Dave, did you have drawings for that FAST? I've just picked up some Alpair 7.3's and am considering either that or a Frugel Horn Mk3, but can't decide.
I do. But unless you have 4 SDX7 in hand it would need to be completely redone for a different bass driver. Here is a picture:

Click the image to open in full size.

We have a number of FAST concepts built. Only a few with drivers you can actually buy.

dave
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:57 AM   #10
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Chris and Dave; thanks. I should have said I wasn't being lazy and had already searched the forum and had seen that one (above). I have been thinking of a woofer each side, biamped through a PLLXO. But if there was a design using existing woofers ready to go, I'd go the easy way. When Dave wrote 'twin 7" woofers" I didn't know it meant each side, so it didn't click.

I'll try the FH (non-XL) first, and see how that fares, then stump up for another couple of Alpairs to build the FAST if more bass is needed.

Thanks guys,

Stu

Last edited by Stuey; 23rd December 2014 at 11:01 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!