Let's hear it for Big speakers

Do you prefer BIG speakers ?

• I prefer BIG speakers and darn it, I'll find space for them in my house

Votes: 124 83.2%
  • I don't prefer big speakers

Votes: 25 16.8%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
when is Cal gonna pipe in on this one? :D - I'm sure he'll correct me on the following assertion ;)

Two of the most disjointed and uncohesive, yet very "big" systems in every sense of the word I've yet heard were these two:

ExperienceMusicb.jpg

Bottlehead.jpg

Widely loved by most show attendees, and well reviewed in the press, but I couldn't imagine living with them. For me, it's a bit impractical when 15-20 ft is still too close in the nearfield for the system to fully coalesce - I don't live in Wayne Manor with the requisite room for something like these to work

I made some party speakers for my son. The drivers were given to me over the years. Tops are EV HR90's with EV DH1506 compresion drivers, bottom are 15" Radio Shack something or others. They sound not bad. He moved away to Vancouver for a few years so I get to listen to them when the wife is not home.

Attachments

• speaker1.jpg
    speaker1.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 798
  • stereo.jpg
    stereo.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 766
I recently finished some relatively big speakers (Seas A26 drivers & crossover in a 100L bass reflex cabinet) after feeling a longing for something delivering 'weight'. I've used an assortment of smaller speakers in recent years (the biggest were 2-ways with 8" mid bass and probably 20L cabinet) and, while many sounded great initially, none left me satisfied long term.

In my own experience, I've been more inclined to focus on (worry about?) the mid & HF performance when there wasn't the foundation of deep bass underpinning the music. When proper bass is present, and the music is delivered with a physical weight and depth, I'm much more inclined to relax and enjoy the experience.

It's hard to be specific about the low bass performance that's required to make me happy, but audible output down to 30-40Hz (without obvious roll-off) seems to be a common factor.

Please tell some more about the Seas A 26 in big cabinet.
I just ordered the drivers and wanted to build their regular
enclosure 28 l, but 100l sounds interestingly big.

Hi,

A quick sim indicates 100L vented needs to be tuned low, 24Hz to 30Hz.
All tunings give an F3 around 30Hz. 24Hz is flattest, 30Hz a 1dB bump.
Tuning any higher heads into one note bass territory.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.