Single full-range driver (no cabinet) suspended from wires. Stupid idea?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm curious about the possibility of a single mono point source with no resonance or phase issues. My idea is to find a nice full-range driver and simply rig it with cables from a frame/ceiling. No cabinet. Imagine it like a gong.

Is this a stupid idea? Are such drivers designed to be inside a cabinet only? Will I end up with a wimpy sound and/or a speaker swinging back and forth on a wire? Hehe. My only guess is that without it being bound to a solid cabinet/frame, the lows will lost to the air.

bare mounted loudspeakers

I'm curious about the possibility of a single mono point source with no resonance or phase issues. My idea is to find a nice full-range driver and simply rig it with cables from a frame/ceiling. No cabinet. Imagine it like a gong.Is this a stupid idea? Are such drivers designed to be inside a cabinet only? Will I end up with a wimpy sound and/or a speaker swinging back and forth on a wire? Hehe. My only guess is that without it being bound to a solid cabinet/frame, the lows will lost to the air.

Hi there: Curiously the recommended method of testing parameters for loudspeakers is to accomplish the testing with the driver suspended bare. As with almost all audio concepts, their is prior art for using bare mounted drivers, I recall an interesting 4 way design posted herein called something like "Blackmore", but I can't find it through search. I am running a pair of TB W5-1611S-neo drivers bare, with a mounting plate the diameter of the driver in a FAST with a 4-8" drivers in a bass unit pentagon mounted H frame, biamped witha 175hz xover. So do not hesitate to experiment. ...regards, Michael

As you can see I'm new here. Heh, sorry for the late follow up to all these responses. It sent me down a hell of a path and back. I've been absorbing knowledge for the last 48 hours. I have a feeling I'm going to be around here for a while. It looks like there are other ways to accomplish my ideal of a highly focussed and accurate mono point source. At the moment I'm looking at "metronome" style quadratic wave guide enclosures.

Damn I really don't need another hobby, but the design constraints on this stuff has me captivated. Anyone want to do a commissioned build/consultation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.