Frugel-horn XL build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just completed the Frugel-horn XL build ( apart from the final real wood walnut veneer) i have lots of pictures but cant find the camera usb lead so bare with me and i will update with nice photos soon, have to say these little Mark audio alpair 10 gen 3 drivers are fecking very good!:eek:

The speaker boxes are quite small even though these are the biggest of the frugelhorns i think.

The speakers have been running in in free air for a few weeks with little vol or stress using a wee digital amp and a cd player on repeat. Adding a touch more vol as the days passed but never too loud. Manufacturer states at least 200 hous of gentle break in which i have done, then further break in up to 800hrs!! has been mentioned here.

Now these are in the boxes i have been able to give them a wee bit more vol and get the drivers to a maximum x max of 2mm in this break in period, this give me decent amount of vol and i have to say at this early stage these are impressive! how can such a small driver deliver such a complete sound? really impressive.

I've got plinths made and still to get these fitted to try so experimentation with those will follow. I also have these stuffed with the default recommended stuffing as stated in the build drawings but this should be tuned to your room and preference so still to mess about with that as well over the coming weeks. The sound is very very addictive, it is smooth, never harsh or shrill, which i though they might be being metalic drivers, but these have a slightly relaxed sound with surprisingly good bass which is very tuneful and very enjoyable, i see no need for a sub at all. If i was to put these in some context i would slot then firmly between the AN E's ( kit 1) i had, and my previous ( to the AN E's) Living voice avatar II's both are very different but both superb but with caveates (what dosent?) but these wee diy speakers are simple a joy at the moment, 800 hours is a hell of a run in time but i have been told by several on this forum who own these this is what they take to be fully broke in.

So to sum up the bass is a real surprise its really nice, deep enough for me and really tuneful particularly accoustic bass and piano low notes are beatiful. The mid range (as with all full rangers i have heard) is stunning, smooth detaled sound, vocals and accoustic really shine but they can rock as well (ok at lower vol that i would listen to rock but you get the drift) they are pin sharp too, stopping and starting fast as you like, attack and leading edge seems really good too. So for a few hours of first listen in the boxes these are impressive. Add to the above the pride DIY brings, i'm a happy bunny!!

If the teble improves with a bit more sparkle these will be hard to beat at any price. Fed with my superb 300b amp they sound sublim even with a few hours running, cant wait to get them run in and the vol turned up a few notches.

Follow up as i run in and get the veneering complete to come! Pictures will follow soon.

cheers. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.