First taste, now I'm hooked - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2014, 03:32 PM   #1
jjcarr is offline jjcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default First taste, now I'm hooked

New here, got tired of room-divider Magnepans and Martin Logans, decided to give the single-driver thing a whirl. Picked up the Fostex fe103n kit from Madisound. Love the imaging of the speaker, but knew it was just a cheap way to determine if I would like the single driver sound, not a long-term speaker. So, where to from here?

I'd like to get something with more "body", but imaging and soundstage are my #1 priority. I'll stick with DIY, as that's half the fun for me. I was thinking about sticking with the fe103n and doing the Woden Vampyr-V. Would it be worth jumping up to a Mark Audio or larger Fostex instead? How would a Frugal Horn compare with the Vampyr?
Old 9th December 2014, 05:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd like to get something with more "body", but imaging and sound stage are my #1 priority.
I'm sure others will argue for their own favorites, but I would suggest trying a Fostex FF165wk in a BIB or Metronome. Still point source like your FE103en; will play louder & provide more bottom end.

The BIB is an easier build & should provide deeper bass than the Met, but not as articulate in the mids.

The Met is a more complex build and can't do as much bass, but has advantages in the mids. And it has major WAF.

Cheers, Jim
Old 9th December 2014, 05:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Would I experience any loss of imaging or micro-details by going with a larger driver?

Also, for more details on my setup, I'm using:
Meridian 565 pre-pro
NHT IcePower amp
Serving lossless audio directly to the Merdian, using the 565's internal DAC's
Martin Logan Grotto sub, though I sometimes bypass it in direct mode, so some bass extension on the speakers does matter, but it's less important that soundstage and imaging.
Old 9th December 2014, 06:01 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
I was thinking about sticking with the fe103n and doing the Woden Vampyr-V. Would it be worth jumping up to a Mark Audio or larger Fostex instead? How would a Frugal Horn compare with the Vampyr?
FF105wk is very good in Vampyr-V, the FE103 was kinda insipid. Not as good as FH3 with A7.3 but the A7.3 is a better driver. Haven't tried the Fosyex 4s in the FH3.

dave
Old 9th December 2014, 06:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

How does the sound of the FH3 w/A7.3 compare with the Vampyr-V with the ff105wk? Also, how do the MA drivers compare with Fostex overall? I'm not concerned about the added cost, if it nets me a better sound.

Last edited by jjcarr; 9th December 2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 9th December 2014, 06:21 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The Alpair 7.3 is one of the very best drivers on the market today. Ignoring efficiency (and greater cost) IMO nothing in the Fostex line us capable of the same level of DDR or overall perfotmance. Someone who is willing togive up some DDR for bass might look at one of the A10x in FHXL.

The FF105wk is close to the FF85wk with more bass, and i doubt there is an enclosure that gets as much bass out of the FF105 as Vampyr-V. The FF85wk gets as close as i've heard to the A7.3 (but doesn't do bass).

All these drivers are good, but have different trade-offs. Which work for you is a personal thing.

dave
Old 9th December 2014, 06:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Does the paper vs gold/grey version of the Alpair make any sonic difference?
Old 9th December 2014, 07:56 PM   #8
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

A Karlsonator scaled for an FE165 or FE167 can have lots of full bodied sound too, or even a TB W8-1772 in a Karlsonator 8.
Old 9th December 2014, 09:02 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
Does the paper vs gold/grey version of the Alpair make any sonic difference?
Both metal colours sound the same, the paper is different - Dave has had his ears on the 7Ps for a while now - he could probably expound on the sonic comparison - and other folks could relate their experience with the 10s

There are also some differences in tuning requirements (volume and port dimensions) between the two.

I've heard both versions of the 6s and 10s, and with those two sizes prefer the papers - but then I had 7M and EL70s in daily use for at least 2 years, and it was hard to fault either, so it's just not that cut and dried.
Old 10th December 2014, 03:12 AM   #10
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

So far, my only taste of single driver speakers are a pair of Radio Shack 40-1041s in a cardboard Metronome, and a pair of FE126e in a foam core box that I threw together. That said, once I heard these speakers I was hooked, even with the lack of bass and the peaks and valleys of the sound. They just draw you in, and putting my 2 ways back on is always a disappointment even though they go down to 25hz.

Tomorrow my A7.3s gold will arrive, but I won't get to hear them as I'm leaving town for a few days. I want to plug them in to go through the break in period but I'd rather be home for that. My cabinets will be FH3 and these are still in the works, about half-way there. I'm being a bit of a perfectionist about cutting, so I'm taking it very slow.

I'll let you know how they sound, but I can't really compare them to anything else that's single driver.

Hide this!Advertise here!