Large room, please suggest speaker for diy beginner - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2014, 10:10 PM   #1
sajgre is offline sajgre  Slovenia
all ears
diyAudio Member

Default Large room, please suggest speaker for diy beginner

Hello to everybody on this great forum!
I fell in love with full range speakers at my friendís house a couple of years ago and I decided to make a pair for myself. I truly tried to do the homework but I must admit that Iím still completely lost and would greatly appreciate your advice about which drivers to buy. Iím skilled in woodwork and have access to all the tools.
My room is 4x9m (12*30feet) and has high ceiling, my listening position would be 3,5m (11,5 feet) from speakers.
My budget for drivers is 800Ä
My main interest is instrumental music, jazz, ethnoÖ
I would prefer drivers from Europe to avoid customs and expensive shipping.
From what I managed to understand so far, FE168Esigma would be my choice.
I realize that speakers are VERY personal choice but Iím completely lost at what you are discussing and would really appreciate if you could suggest me drivers and enclosure with which I ďcanít go wrongĒ. I realize that I might end up with something I wonít be completely happy with but that is the price for a (stupid) beginners .
Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 6th December 2014, 10:43 PM   #2
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Sajgre,

That's a pretty big listening room - lucky you!

If you are ok with large sized cabinets, then a few options from Woden Design come to mind - Avebury for the MA Alpair 12P, Silbury for Alpair 10.x, an the Vulcan for Fostex FE206EN. Btw, I have no experience with the any of the designs mentioned above.

Or the BIB design in which a variety of drivers can be used...

For a less tall cabinet (but deeper), the Frugel Horn XL might also work.

I am sure folks with large rooms will chime in.
Old 7th December 2014, 12:49 AM   #3
all ears
diyAudio Member

zman01, the room is big but too hard if that is the right expression, not quite enough soft materials in it so it might be a big challenge for speakers.

I was not expecting such big cabinets but wooow, you got me thinking. I just might go for something crazy as those Woden Designs, they would be impressive. Not so much for my wife but she would have to get used to them... eventually .

How great of a difference in sound does such a big cabinet make compared to smaller cabinets?
Old 7th December 2014, 01:19 AM   #4
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

FE206EN in a traditional Karlson 12 or a Karlsonator 8 Starting down the Karlson road with some questions

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9872967&type=3

Last edited by freddi; 7th December 2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 7th December 2014, 01:52 AM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've heard several of the designs Zia mentioned - indeed currently have FH-XL with Alpair 10P in my "stable / harem". For a room that size my vote would be for something like the Avebury for Alpair 12P, or Victor / Vulcan for Fostex. If the ceiling is tall enough, even a 72" enclosure with curved side panels can look graceful.

These tall rear mouth designs can fill a big room nicely, and squeeze a lot of LF extension and dynamics from a wideband driver.

Regardless of the driver and enclosure design chosen, I think you'll definitely need some acoustic treatment in the form of furnishings, rugs, etc to help dampen reflections.
Old 7th December 2014, 02:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A horn will give you the best projection for a bigger room. I also have a "hard" living room ( all made out of concrete) and yes, you will need some furniture, decorations, etc. to reduce unwanted reflections. A carpet in the middle, some wall hanging cloth designs or heavy curtains, and something for the corners, as bass concentrates there.

Also, as a suggestion, since you are new at DIY, and we do not know your wood working abilities, keep the first set of speakers simple. Don't try something crazy and elaborate on your first try.

Choose and easy enough horn design, make mistakes while building them and learn. You will still be amazed of the sound you will get from that more simple design.

Later, if the DIY bug bites you, you can try something more.... Crazy!

Good luck!
Old 7th December 2014, 03:09 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
These tall rear mouth designs can fill a big room nicely, and squeeze a lot of LF extension and dynamics from a wideband driver.
Indeed thay can.

Your room is a bit less than 1/2 of mine, depending on your ceiling 1/2 the volume.

Victor (the Woden horn for FE166) with both FE166eN & FE166eSReN were effortless in my room even driver with SE 2A3. This is the cabinet FE168 would work in. Ignorning the EnABLing of the drivers FE168 would slot inbetween.

Click the image to open in full size.

Personally i tend to prefer smaller drivers, FHXL or Silbury with Alpair 10x would be prererred (i've had FHXL in here, not Silbury). Right now i am using uFonkenSET (no real bass, but add the matching woofT and they are VERY surprising)

What kind of amp will you be using? SE amps tend to be synergistic with the FE Fostex. The Alpair is somewhat more versatile as to amps. All these drivers benefit from good amplification and will expose the deficiencies of poor ones.

dave
Old 7th December 2014, 09:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

what kind of amp do You have?
Old 7th December 2014, 10:05 AM   #9
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For a room of that size, some kind of line array might suit and would keep the wood-working relatively simple to get a quick result. Have a look on here for Overkill Audio's BMR thread. It looks like he is onto a good, relatively inexpensive driver which will give good headroom when used in an array (basically a column of 4 or more drivers per stereo channel).
Old 7th December 2014, 10:43 AM   #10
all ears
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot everybody, I realize it might be tiring answering beginner questions but I had to start somewhere and you were really helpful!

If I had to decide this very moment I would go with FH-XL with Alpair 10P.
Tall enclosures like Victor might bring me divorce.

I would be using an old Rotel amp at first. Later on I would get small tube.

Hide this!Advertise here!