Replacement for Rola/CTS 4.5" Wide range driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2014, 09:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Replacement for Rola/CTS 4.5" Wide range driver

Hey,

I'm looking for a alternative to the no longer made Rola/CTS 4.5" wide range drivers.

I have some drivers but they all rub horribly, is there any way of repairing this? Would it be possible to repair or replace the voice coils?

Jake.
Old 4th December 2014, 09:51 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddles View Post
Hey,

I'm looking for a alternative to the no longer made Rola/CTS 4.5" wide range drivers.

I have some drivers but they all rub horribly, is there any way of repairing this? Would it be possible to repair or replace the voice coils?

Jake.

what's the application? - there are literally dozens of potential candidates in that approx size range - purpose of application and constraints on enclosure volume would be very helpful in shortening that list
Old 4th December 2014, 09:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

They are from a pair of Bose 800 speakers.
The cabinet is around 27-30Ltrs and sealed, and each cabinet has 8 drivers.

Last edited by Riddles; 4th December 2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to add drivers.
Old 4th December 2014, 10:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A quick google search will turn up numerous results for Bose Driver Replacements, including the fairly reliable folks at Parts Express.

How well suited any of these would be to replacing only one or even several of the total of 16 drivers in a pair of 800s, is a different story.

Replacing surrounds on a working driver is one thing, but repairing/replacing voice coils on small drivers such as these - or any not specifically designed for field service, would I imagine be rather a tricky proposition.
Old 4th December 2014, 10:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have ordered the ones from parts express but they might not be ideal, have just found out that they 2mm Xmax when simulated in Bass Box pro they run out fast, with 100watts behide them they go down to 158Hz before damage.

I'm looking to do the whole lot, the whole lot is being rebuilt.

It is kinda tricky, just tried to carefully remove one of the cones and its ruined the spider. Even with heat the glue just doesn't melt.
Old 4th December 2014, 10:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If they don't work out, and you still want to pursue it, you could try these guys:

Oak Tree Vintage has used home / audio stereo gear, antique microphones, film projectors, vintage guitars, & amps & effects, old transistor & tube radios,* reproduction jukeboxes. Reel to Reels, turntables, speakers & silver face receivers by Pioneer

Caveat - I have no experience with the above vendor, nor with repairing Bose speakers, this is just from a very cursory Google search.

There may be forum members much better equipped to address this project.
Old 4th December 2014, 10:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I did see them but they wanted $60 for a used driver.
To be honest i'm not really looking for the Bose drivers, just a 4.5" driver that will sound good and work well in the cabs.
Old 5th December 2014, 08:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Does the Bose 800 use the 1 ohm drivers wired in series, or the 8 ohm drivers wired in series/parallel? I know that the Bose 901 used both configurations at different times.
Old 5th December 2014, 08:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

They are wired in series/parallel like series one and two of the 90s, but use a 10ohm resistor to make the 9th driver.
All the rest are 8 ohms.

The independence doesn't matter too much they are being rewired the original cable is wayyyyy to thin for my liking.

Jake..
Old 5th December 2014, 08:57 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddles View Post
To be honest i'm not really looking for the Bose drivers, just a 4.5" driver that will sound good and work well in the cabs.
If you are going to change the driver you need to change them all. With about 3.5 litre/driver you won't find many 4.5" drivers.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!