Replacement for Rola/CTS 4.5" Wide range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

I'm looking for a alternative to the no longer made Rola/CTS 4.5" wide range drivers.

I have some drivers but they all rub horribly, is there any way of repairing this? Would it be possible to repair or replace the voice coils?

Jake.

what's the application? - there are literally dozens of potential candidates in that approx size range - purpose of application and constraints on enclosure volume would be very helpful in shortening that list

A quick google search will turn up numerous results for Bose Driver Replacements, including the fairly reliable folks at Parts Express.

How well suited any of these would be to replacing only one or even several of the total of 16 drivers in a pair of 800s, is a different story.

Replacing surrounds on a working driver is one thing, but repairing/replacing voice coils on small drivers such as these - or any not specifically designed for field service, would I imagine be rather a tricky proposition.

I have ordered the ones from parts express but they might not be ideal, have just found out that they 2mm Xmax when simulated in Bass Box pro they run out fast, with 100watts behide them they go down to 158Hz before damage.

I'm looking to do the whole lot, the whole lot is being rebuilt.

It is kinda tricky, just tried to carefully remove one of the cones and its ruined the spider. Even with heat the glue just doesn't melt. :(

If they don't work out, and you still want to pursue it, you could try these guys:

Oak Tree Vintage has used home / audio stereo gear, antique microphones, film projectors, vintage guitars, & amps & effects, old transistor & tube radios,  reproduction jukeboxes. Reel to Reels, turntables, speakers & silver face receivers by Pioneer

Caveat - I have no experience with the above vendor, nor with repairing Bose speakers, this is just from a very cursory Google search.

There may be forum members much better equipped to address this project.

They are wired in series/parallel like series one and two of the 90s, but use a 10ohm resistor to make the 9th driver.
All the rest are 8 ohms.

The independence doesn't matter too much they are being rewired the original cable is wayyyyy to thin for my liking.

Jake..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.