Advice for driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have friends, co workers and family that all want some kind of music play back system... i also know that budget would be limited... so i would like to work with drivers that sound good at a fair price. My newest driver is the Ma 7.3 and love it in the three types of enclosures ive had them in. I was thinking about trying the Chr 70.3 but keep hearing its soft on top. What driver would be a good intro. To the full range world at a far price.. thanks, dan

You're thinking of the CHP70 (current version). The CHR70 is certainly not soft on top -it's close-ish to the 1st generation of Alpair 7.

Assuming you wish to continue with 4in widebanders, other than the MA drivers you mention you could afford a set of Tang Band's W4-1337SDFs, or their W4-1320SIF bamboo paper cone model which has a more highly damped top end relative to the titanium cone 1337. Otherwise, there's the usual suspects from Fostex (FE103En would be $0.8 over-budget, the FF105wk $9.40 over-budget). Any would make a reasonable introduction (they all have their particular foibles) providing you don't expect miracles.

Last edited:
In the Mark Audio line, don't overlook the new CHN70 , while not quite at the same level as the A7.3 pr A7P, @ $27 USD ea an excellent value to my ears.

Then of course no query re FR drivers in this size / price range would be complete without reference to the Vifa TC9FD / TG9FD - neither of which I've heard, but that both get great reviews from users here.

Last edited:
They're very good for what they are. I prefer the fibreglass cone model, but YMMV. I focussed on nominal 4in units above, but if you can accept the reductions in LF extension, OA sensitivity & dynamic range, then that opens you up to the large number of options available in (nominal) 3in - 3 1/2in category (such as the aforementioned Vifas) too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.