Onken Enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the moment I'm running some giant 500litre fridge like cabinets with Neo pro5 fountek ribbons, 201 goodmans for high mid, 301 goodmans for low mid/high bass and richard Allan's cg15 15" for bass. I have been thinking of making some onken cabinets for the 201's or maybe the 301's, or both?? I find the 201s have a better treble high mid quality while the 301's have a better low mid bass ...any suggestions?

So been thinking I will build the onken cabinets and run the 201's fullrange for awhile, then the 301's. Then I will introduce the ribbon as a two way system. I will crossover at 5000hz trying both drivers.... Then I will try the 301's in the onkens for the bass and 201's open baffle on top. ....then introduce the fountek as a 3way later on. I've got some fun ahead of me. Has anyone got dimensions for a onken enclosure that would work for both the 12" goodmans?? I found some dimensions for the 201's 98cm high 44cm wide 48cm deep. Does this sound right??? Will this work for the 301's too??

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Seems like this should be in multi way forum? FWIW, I think the Onken cabinets seem like a lot of extra work and extra wood. Having a very narrow aspect ratio vent is used to introduce surface skin drag on the vent as opposed to pressure drag with a more conventional vent. I have heard some people say it sounds nasaly. There are certain parameters that are needed to be maintained for a true Onken alignment. Have you checked the online Onken calculator to see if your drivers and intended bix dinensions are a match for an Onken? You might want to look at a BVR as a completely different alternative that is simpler to build and provides some bass gain.

mh-audio.nl - Home

Thanks for the reply:) I use to run the goodman 301's fullrange in a bass reflex cabinet then open baffle. I then introduced the 15" to get more bass. I really loved open baffle but then had a son so had to protect the drivers so made a cabinet out of my open baffles 1450x600x600. But now I would like to get back to a simpler set up. Either fullrange or 2way with the ribbon. BVR? Do these cabinets work well with 12" ?

Nearly 3am, need to get some sleep will keep looking tomorrow.
These are the T/S parameters for the 301's I would imagine the 201's would be similar:
Fs 34Hz
Qts 0.217
Qes 0.23
Qms 3.4
VAS 311 Litres
Xmax 6mm
Piston area 0.0491 sq metres
SPL 96dB (1W/1M)
Flux density 1.6T

:) thanks for your help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.