Best 4" fullrange driver for stereo speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
Squeak comment, while interesting, is technically misleading, an over-simplification. I've adjusted several components (motor-sub assembly, cone, cap and coil) to produce the CHN's specific oscillation/resonance patten.

Observers will note that all my current 70mm diameter cone series drivers (CHN,CHP,R,S and Alpair 7) have the near same diameter cap (+/- 0.9mm) yet produce significantly different performances.

For those who wish to comment further on the issue of CHN cap sizing, please use the CHN introduction thread, so as not to throw this thread off-topic.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/259841-new-driver-chn70.html

Thanks
Mark
;-D
I love you Mark, I really do! You are like a hen mother around your brand and drivers.
I wasn't talking about the cap but cab as in cabinet. Sorry for the misspelling (I blame iOS autocorrect) :)
I know your drivers has excellent off axis performance since I have used them in three projects, so that's not what I'm talking about.

I just feel (and I'm not alone in this) that the 126 does something that no other driver in the price bracket has outdone. I has a delicacy, sweetness and detail that is just something special (and holds it's own in off axis behavior too).
The 6.5 KHz peak is not IMO anything like the problem it is made out to be. Once you sit further back from the speaker it's virtually a non issue. Marks drivers also has their issues with peaks and dips, but that doesn't stop them from being loved and popular.

Now I have not heard the CHN, I'm just going on what Mark wrote in the CHN threat on the 103 vs. the CHN.

The CHN might indeed be what you are looking for. It has a 4.5 Ohm rating for starters, if that is what you are looking for.
Just don't write the 126 off on account of it not having enough bottom. In this size cab I think CHN and and FE126En would be pretty equal.

Last edited:
I swapped out the CSS EL70 (made by MA) for the MA CHR 70 and noticed it was more to my liking especially in the upper regions where my ears are a little weak. If you don't have it side by side with an A7, you might find that for the price, it's tough to beat.

Attachments

• IMG_2763.jpg
    IMG_2763.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 574
;-D
I love you Mark, I really do! You are like a hen mother around your brand and drivers.
I wasn't talking about the cap but cab as in cabinet. Sorry for the misspelling (I blame iOS autocorrect) :)
I know your drivers has excellent off axis performance since I have used them in three projects, so that's not what I'm talking about.

Hi Squeak,

I'm glad my response gave you the opportunity to make it clear your original intension. The thread starter is a beginner. Anyone expecting him (and others) to see around your typo (Cap = Cab) would be one hell of a stretch.

I rarely post in any forum (open or commercial) nowadays. I'm currently thinking about a total withdrawal from Diyaudio so you may yet get your wish.

Mark

Hi,
this is my first post. I'm writting from Spain and now I´m planning my second fullrange project . It´s an stereo speaker for my phone with two separated cabinets of 5.6lt each one.The ext. dimensions are 600x210x180mm The amp used is a TOPPING TP-20 MARKII.
I would used a pair of 4" or 4" 1/2 fullrange drivers , and if it´s possible vented cabinets .
The top budget for the drivers is about $100/$120 per pair
Some options I´m thinking are:
- Fostex Fe126En
- Tang Band W1611 SDF
- Every suggestions .....

Thank you in advance for your useful help and congratulations for this fastastic forum:)

If you intend stereo reproduction from a single enclosure, this is a proven concept:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/200040-stereophonic-sound-single-loudspeaker.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.