A Very Fast Speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2014, 09:53 AM   #1
T101 is offline T101  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Default A Very Fast Speaker

It took me about 5 minutes this morning. The drivers were on the waveguides from before. And I have some pipes because I am building these: Linkwitz LX Mini Passive Replica

This is Visaton FRS 5X in Visaton waveguide installed in 100 mm copper coloured PVC sewer pipe. Adding a piece of sheep wool did remove the exactly sewerish kind of low frequencies, but maybe removed too much other parts of the sound. Probably wadding should be just enough to remove the pipish sound.

It sounds pretty awesome!
As far as I have investigated the waveuides, they work from 1 kHz to about 8 kHz an add about 6 db sensivity, thus the small FRS shuld be relatively flat 1 to 10 kHz and about 88-90 db efficient. - conclusions done with reverse engineering of the Visaton La Belle crossover which I had built for a colleague of mine.

I remembered I had the small Visatons because rcently I had a listen to Pioneer HPM 50 which have absolutely identically looking treble driver. I am pretty sute Visaton had the Pioneer driver in mind when they designed the small FRS 5X's.

I maybe will build a home cinema set with those
There is round version of the waveguides as well.
Highly recommended!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141119_105257-1.jpg (772.0 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg 20141119_105342-1.jpg (571.9 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg 20141119_105411-1.jpg (822.8 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg 20141119_105431-1.jpg (628.8 KB, 468 views)
File Type: gif frs5x_fs.gif (8.0 KB, 446 views)

Last edited by T101; 19th November 2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 20th November 2014, 01:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Interesting driver and waveguide, have a pair of the FRS 5 X here too, not used yet. Any comment on the soundquality of the small visatons? Just a wee bit extra dB's added by the WG and they can be used in high effiency FAST designs
Old 20th November 2014, 10:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, thanks for the interest!
The SQ is definitely above satisfactory, so they are suitable for listening to music.
I made a video and posted it to the Facebook page of my forum: https://www.facebook.com/PenkillerDIY
Directly to video: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...82130527&saved
You should listen to it at least through PC speakers with subwoofer or headphones. After 2.03 I play through the big speakers for reference

I posted it to FB as Youtube has threatened me with ban for a similar sound excerpt of Ozzy Ozbourne's "Mama I'm Coming Home" played through another set of DIY speakers, so I don't post music there anymore.

I made a sketch of the idea for the finished speakers using the round version of the waveguides. 90 Hz fb 7.3 L Vb and a 80x200 mm port Now it is satisfactory, I imagine that with a port and a proper enclosure it would be a marvel!
Bulgarian language thread that also has photos of the Pioneer HPM 50 and it's treble driver: 5 ??????? ?????????, ????? ?????? ?????????!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VisatonWaveGuideStandalone.jpg (135.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20141119_202135_HDR.jpg (36.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 20th November 2014, 11:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh i am not the only one interested in this little fullranger The German Klang & Ton magazine has quite some designs with it. For inspiration:
Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente

My idea for this driver would be a small D'appolito floorstander with two 5 inch drivers. X-over 7-900 Hz, first order. And a small conical "waveguide" setting the driver back just enough to make a time delay. Just a small conical 45 degree 16 mm deep "horn" would add the extra dB's needed for the low x-over point. I guess you read Klang & Ton in Bulagaria too?

Fun driver for under $10

Last edited by Phenoholic Anonymus; 20th November 2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

They are ready and WoW!
Interestingly, they do have sufficient low frequency information.
I can't tell whether the enclosure is bass reflex or qarter wave resonator of some sort because it's lenght corresponds to 1/4 wave of about 80-100 Hz and it is tuned to 90 Hz.
How could I tell between the two?
Further, some considerable amount of treble is audible through the port, quieter enough not to create a second source, but it is there. This is because I didn't arranged the port higher and the internal part pointing downwards.
There is another option, an additional wooden front panel with two holes, one for the driver to the enclosure and second for an external port.
N.B. The port could be mounted only if you cut the enclosure pipe between the end and the opening.
By the way, how do you detetmine the correct lenght of a port with a turm? It should be 80x200 mm, but it has a 90 degree turn. I measured lenght in the center.
Q: Does this enclosure qualify for BVR?

So someone could try downward facing internal port and someone the more sophisticated version with front panel.

Anyway, the sound is very pleasant and non fatiguing.
It seems that there are some things in acoustics that we don't understand or know.
Or maybe it is not acoustics, but recordings?
I have always thought there is no life with lower cut off higher than 30 Hz. These speakers have 60 Hz under question and still they play music well enough?!
Very strange!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_588505393768276.jpeg (76.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_588512165701346.jpeg (78.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_588514885677022.jpeg (87.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_588517566904833.jpeg (58.2 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by T101; Yesterday at 11:01 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

No problem with the small x-max of the FRS5X running it fullrange? Did you consider bafflestep? How about a small backloaded horn to ease the excusrion need a little and present some resistance to the driver?

Nice speakers!
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you!
I don't think it is worth the effort to design a sophisticated enclosure for a 10$ driver.
I don't hear need for a BSC, but even if there was such need, you can't afford to loose efgiciency with such small driver.
I just increase the volume untill the sound becomes a little dull, then I turn it back a little. The spl is completely sufficient in order to illuminate a very large room with enough details.
They are great for kitchen, bedroom or surround.

Best regards!

Hide this!Advertise here!