Mark Audio Alpair 10.3/A10p MLTL

My cabs are almost ready, stil have to perform a edge smoothing and a paint job but so far I can test run them. The drivers need more burn in but they sound absolutely amazing to me! Plenty of low and that sweet full range sound. Loving them! Big thanks to the OP. I will post pics as soon as I'm done finishing them.

Edit, sorry don't have measuring equipment!

Last edited:
Still needs a paint job... Again: absolutely love them and so does the misses.

Attachments

• IMG_20180407_100733.jpg
    IMG_20180407_100733.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 906
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have a pair of 10.3 drivers and I like the look of the thin MLTLs. Could the MLTL be reconfigured to have the driver at 24” from the bottom? I like the size for the 30” Jordan Eikona 2. Could that work with the Alpair 10.3?

Moving the Zd of a driver has an impact on how the unwanted harmonics are canceled (or not).

If you want a 30” MLTL it will need to be modelled.

dave

I've just come across this, it looks an excellent design. Jim big thanks for publishing for diy purposes.
I have a spare pair of 10p's, so will give it a try.
A few questions, haven't read entire thread

Is a downfiring Port an option?
A 3" flared port too big? (I have some spare)
Wd a polygon type shape for cab be ok if cross section remains same? (Plan view)
Is high density polystyrene gonna be ok to try?
Sorry 1 more- what wd be the approx system sensitivity using alpair 10p?

Last edited:
query about alpair 10p, didn't notice this in previous (nearfield)build, but reading up on other builds, this driver may need a little bsc- I don't want to add any circuit if possible. The MA published graph suggests to me that with a narrow baffle, one wd expect a dip around 450 to 550hz. So wd a wider 9 or 10" baffle help in this region?

Last edited:
Put them in FHXL.

dave

I have listened to the Alpair 10P in the FHXL, an MLTL cabinet, and a bass reflex box. As expected, the larger floor-standing cabinets provide greater low frequency output and extension, and from memory the FHXL would have an edge. However if you want "slam" for rock and heavier genres, I have found cone area helps and two-way/multi-ways fare better.

almost finished basic cabs. The high density polystyrene is v thick, so baffle width turned out at 25cm. Cross section area is over very slightly. Pillow stuffing to the central brace
Port is downfiring, with a small cavity and cones for clearance(internal height is still 40 inches).
Couldn't find 2.5 tubing so will make do with toilet rolls, until Friday..

Attachments

• 20180726_011912.jpg
    20180726_011912.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 806
Last edited:
Hi Bill and Jim,

My brother is literally begging me to build this for him. Like you Bill, he wants the wider side to be the front baffle. Will it have any effect on the sound like diffraction?

Also, when moving the port to the bottom, I just need to follow the same port dimensions on the first page?

Thanks and regards,
Anton

Building these today, hopefully have basic cabs finished tomo. Made from high density polystyrene. I've flipped Jim's dimensions ie baffle is the wider section

You can change the width or depth of the cabinet as long as you maintain the area of the cabinet as close as you can. Likewise maintain the port dimensions as originally given for best results. You can locate the port on either the new front or rear panel of the cabinet with equivalent results.

I normally don't suggest moving the port to the bottom without doing additional simulation runs to assess any impact.

Hi Jim,

I intend to keep the original dimensions of the enclosure, I will just flip it so that the wider sides will be the front baffle. My brother likes the wider front and is quite adamant about it.

I guess we need to hear from those who moved the port to the bottom what their listening impressions are.

giantstairs and Bill Poster - can you please tell us your impressions on your down-ported builds?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Anton