Mark Audio Alpair 10.3/A10p MLTL

Thanks so much Scott. That's a wonderful explanation, and makes me feel far better about both the drivers and this DATS box. ;)
I had no idea that FS numbers could vary that much. I assumed that they were controlled far more closely, at least on drivers from reputable brands, such as MarkAudio.
It's nice to know that things are operating as per normal, so to speak.
It doesn't explain the odd sound I'm getting from these speakers, but as has been noted previously, it's very likely that the problem is something with my build skills or the Amp/Room setup. At least I've eliminated the drivers themselves from suspicion.

So one question about that drive level thing... is there any benefit to generally increasing it from the default value for standard measurements, or should I leave things at "stock" and just run the numbers? I apologize for pulling this thread off topic. I'm happy to take this conversation elsewhere if that's better.
I'm trying to learn how to use this software, and how to understand what it tells me, and finding it a bit of an uphill slog. ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Many T/S programs estimate the parameters from the impedance curve measured with a “chirp” or similar. Direct measure means ging in and actually finding the Fs (phase is zero) and then the F1, F2 where the voltage falls to half of the V at Fs. These numbers are then used to directly calulate the T/S parameters.

The voltage used to do the measures, the weather (temp & pressure in particular), and more will directly affect the numbers you get.

Smith + Larson WT2 is probably the best non-factory software for measuring T/S. It comes with its own small current amp and measures the actual Fs, F1 F2.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I had no idea that FS numbers could vary that much.

I have measured mny drivers. And lots of batches of 20 or more. Well QCed drivers have a production variation of about +/- 15% or a bit more, the Mark Audio have been very close at +/- 10%, some brands are much worse, i have had a number were the parameters of 2 nominaly the same driver have been so different that they are not.

Add in the differences from where the T/S are taken off the curves and the differences can be much larger.

dave

i have finally got the draft of the box design from the factory. They want to add a rectagular bracing support at the middle of the speaker, would it affect the design? I follow all dimension posted on page 1

Attachments

• mmexport1601462255011.jpg
    mmexport1601462255011.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 326
Hi all. It's Just there in the post:

"I use 0.75" or 0.50" square hardwood dowels for braces in designs like this one. Typically I cut pieces of the dowel material so that I have a ring that links front to back and side to side of the box. The first internal brace should be located 1-2" below the driver cutout. This mitigates any excess pressure around the driver and is located near the top of the box as well."

Anyway thanks for clarification. It saves some extra work.

Cheers