Any advice for my first build - Bass Reflex Fostex FF165 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2014, 08:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any advice for my first build - Bass Reflex Fostex FF165

Hi gents,

I am new here and glad to be in great company!
Having recently acquired an old Pioneer 6BM8 tube amp (SA400) which is being restored... I have been looking for an efficient speaker to pair it with. After hearing some FE166 in BLH a few months back I have also been wanting to try a Full Ranger being shocked at the imaging from these horns.
As my living space is limited I have settled on trying to get the most out of a Fostex FF165WK in a BR box.

Just hoping for any advice and or tweak suggestions for any changes I can make to the basic Fostex BR box design, in terms of port tuning, port dimensions, cabinet damping, construction etc... basically I need some vaildation that I am on a good path here!

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co....5-full-range/

Last edited by afroaudio; 14th November 2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 14th November 2014, 09:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

To get the most from your speakers you will need stands if you build 'monitor' style cabinets. My bias is toward TQWT floor standers, like a Metronome. Mets don't take up much floor space & have high WAF.

Cheers, Jim
Old 14th November 2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you'll be fine simply building them to the suggested dimensions. A simple BR with a nice full range driver can be a beautiful thing! (how's that for validation?)

IME a TQWT or conical TQWT (like the metronome) will typically sound bigger, cleaner and more hifi than a typical reflex box. So I guess i agree with Jim, and he makes a good point about floor space. However, a reflex can sometimes be mellower sounding, more forgiving of mediocre source material, and generally quite enjoyable.
Old 15th November 2014, 01:37 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I don't pay much attention to the FOstex recommended boxes. I am currently listening to a set of solid wood prototypes for the FF165wk compact floorstander (ie Fonken165 CFS). I am very please with them.

more: Mark Audio Alpair 10.x/FF165wk compact Floorstander Intro & Questions

dave
Old 17th November 2014, 04:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Those do look fantastic Dave! Do you have a drawing for those?
Old 17th November 2014, 07:19 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Drawings are part of the FF165wk paid planset.

planet10-hifi miniOnken Plan-Set Subscriptions

dave
Old 10th December 2014, 11:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am going ahead with Bass Reflex boxes for now and may build something more ambitious when space and time permits.

A few questions for the Bass Reflex cab.. how much and what kind of damping/filler is beneficial?

Also I gather stands are the way to go but wondering if anyone else has experience with Sorbothane half spherical feet to decouple the cabinet from what it is standing on? I have been using these with my AR18s and they seem to have a marked positive effect overall.

Hoping to have my drivers here by Xmas.. 18m BB is being cut this week and my Pioneer amp is recapped and sounding sweet.. just a few more carbon comp resistors to be replaced now...
Old 10th December 2014, 03:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Wow, AR18s! I had AR15s and AR92s. I am very familiar with AR speakers since they were among my favorite brands back in the 70s and 80s.

You will really enjoy the Fostex sound if you are like me. It's brighter than the AR and the details come thru without straining your ears to hear them. You will also notice a more realistic tone to the instruments and a more expressive midrange.

It's all good if it helps you enjoy the music.
Old 10th December 2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afroaudio View Post
I am going ahead with Bass Reflex boxes for now and may build something more ambitious when space and time permits.

A few questions for the Bass Reflex cab.. how much and what kind of damping/filler is beneficial?
Covering 3 sides with ~1/2" thick carpet felt or similar material is a good starting point. Typically, this would be the back, top, and one side. You can use more or less to taste. More damping tends to clean up the mids, but too much tends to make the sound gray and lifeless.

Quote:
Also I gather stands are the way to go but wondering if anyone else has experience with Sorbothane half spherical feet to decouple the cabinet from what it is standing on? I have been using these with my AR18s and they seem to have a marked positive effect overall.
It really depends, but big soft gooey feet aren't a good idea for smaller cabinets IME. There isn't enough mass for the driver to react against, and you'll lose some bass. Small semi hard rubber feet (or spikes if on carpet) work better. With bigger heavier cabinets, soft rubber feet can be useful. Easy enough to try for yourself anyhow.

Quote:
Hoping to have my drivers here by Xmas.. 18m BB is being cut this week and my Pioneer amp is recapped and sounding sweet.. just a few more carbon comp resistors to be replaced now...
Aw, nuthing like recapping old amps...! good play to just replace everthing. It's not worth it to chase down the bad ones. Are you replacing the resistors with new carbon comps? They have a subtly different sound than metal oxide.
Old 11th December 2014, 08:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks Greg B, I think we are constructing our cabinets so the rear baffle will be removable and then can experiment with damping materials a bit. Will also try different feet, did not occur to me that the Sorbothane might absorb too much energy and effect bass response!
I have done all the film and electrolytic caps in the 1969 Pioneer but settled on carbon film resistors.. only about 20 more to go!

Not too bad under there compared to some of the receivers from this period:

Click the image to open in full size.DSC_0321 by bregtje_lush, on Flickr

Hide this!Advertise here!