Want to rebuild TQWT Philips 9710

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Three years ago I build my first set of speakers, a pair of TWQT with Philips AD9710 M/8. Being my first build I made a lot of stupid errors mainly the woodwork suffered from this.

This coming winter I would like to rebuild them and planning on using wood veneer (for the first time on this scale).

But before I start I would like asking you guys and girls if the design I used (see attachment) can be bettered.

I would like to be a bit less tall (a bit wider is not a real issue). Although a different design I really like the Hoyt speaker design (see attachment), I am open for suggestions.

In the meanwhile I must listening to mine prototype stage Semi OB speakers with Philips AD12100M and AD12200W, AD0160 (this isn’t a punishment…). Coming Summer they will get their final housing.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 449
  • TQWT9710m.jpg
    TQWT9710m.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 738
Almost impossible to say unless you have the ability to measure the drivers. Given their age, it is possible (probable) that the spec. will have drifted from how they left the factory, and there's no guarantee any measurements taken of other units will match yours. If you're happy with the sound of the existing boxes & want less height, you could eliminate the void at the bottom for a start.

If you wanted to risk it, then using the measurements Troels Gravesen took of his pair, I'd be inclined toward a classic Vb = Vas, Fb = F0 vented box. 66 litres tuned to 45Hz, which I note Troels did look into, though ultimately did not use. Call it internal HxWxD of 883mm x 230mm x 325mm. Line the box with ultratouch, rockwool, acoustic fiberglass, thick felt or similar. Tilt it back like the Hoyt Bedford & vent out the bottom or on the rear panel; 75mm diameter x 55mm long duct.

Attachments

• VB Response Philips 9710 after TG.gif
    VB Response Philips 9710 after TG.gif
    31.7 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Hi DrBoar,

I know about the Decca Horn, unfortunately I can't place them in my room. I have a paper about this speaker design lying on my desk. Beside this paper I have also the paper on the Tri-Column design. Problem on this design is that I can't figure out the dimensions and material. Pixworld made a beautiful example. I have send him a PM long ago with no reply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.