Full Range Desktop Speakers - kit? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2014, 05:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Full Range Desktop Speakers - kit?

I would like to find a small desktop speaker using a full range driver (like this transmission line) for my office, but without the $500 price tag. This speaker uses this driver from eBay, which seems decent enough. It certainly has the look I would like to achieve.

Are there any decent kits for small transmission lines or vented boxes to accommodate a 4" full range driver like the one above? I have unsuccessfully looked around at the usual places. Madisound offers a cheap Fostex full range kit, but it is not very attractive. Something similar to the speaker in the link above is more my speed. Building from scratch isn't an option sine I don't own any tools except for the basics and live in an apartment, so a precut kit is essential. So, is there anything out there?
Old 12th November 2014, 06:17 AM   #2
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

I hear the Overnight Sensation speakers available as a kit from Parts Express are good bookshelf speakers. They are actually a 2-way but I believe the woofer is considered full range and the tweeter is there just cover the highest of highs.
Old 12th November 2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Ray21 is online now Ray21  United States
diyAudio Member

With your minimal ability to build, the Fostex Kanspea is the kit I recommend.

I have the 4" kit with the FF105WK in my office and really like it. I'm powering it with a Topping amp, a small sub and MiniDSP for EQ and crossover duties. Overall it is fantastic, and it does look a bit better in person than the pics.
Old 12th November 2014, 08:47 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We are talking with Woden about building flat-paks of his Desktop Laybrinyth TLs. eMail if you want to find out about being a guinea pig.

dave
Old 12th November 2014, 05:29 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

The FF85WK in the Woden Labyrinth would be a great candidate - IIRC, you'd be hard pressed to use half a sheet of 1/2" BB ply - the finishing materials (especially if veneered / lacquered) could easily cost more than the wood.
Old 12th November 2014, 09:12 PM   #6
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

The first thing that came to mind were the Kanspea kits at Madisound. What is it about those kits that you find unattractive? I thought they looked pretty nice, especially at the price of $125 without the little amp for the 3", and not much more for a 4" driver in a bigger box.
Old 12th November 2014, 09:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

GR Research LGK.
Old 12th November 2014, 09:48 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
The first thing that came to mind were the Kanspea kits at Madisound. What is it about those kits that you find unattractive? I thought they looked pretty nice, especially at the price of $125 without the little amp for the 3", and not much more for a 4" driver in a bigger box.

personally not so much a fan of the FE83, but you're certainly right that with either driver it's a silly good deal
Old 12th November 2014, 10:15 PM   #9
cspirou is offline cspirou  France
diyAudio Member

Just like other people have said, I recommend the Kanspea which you can get at Madisound.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...aker-kit-pair/

It includes an amp and you can even upgrade to the special edition fe103-sol drivers.

On a similar note Blumenstein Audio has speakers that are pretty well received.

Blumenstein Audio

They just came out with some mini speakers for $300.
Old 12th November 2014, 11:18 PM   #10
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Where are you located? Might be someone near that can help you build some boxes. Having someone build the boxes and shipping them to you might be an option too. Even with the cost of shipping boxes, I'm pretty sure you can get a nice pair of speakers at a great price.
Otherwise, as Sprag mentioned, you can get a pair of Overnight Sensations in a kit. They are GREAT speakers. I built a pair, a friend heard them, and bought them from me.

Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!