req. suitable amplifier for Alpair 7p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have ordered a pair of Alpair 7p.

Could you please suggest a suitable amplifier to get the best out of it?
Whether to go for class AB chips like LM3668 or LM1875 etc or class D/T chips like TA2020 or TPA3116, or discreet solid state class A amplifier circuits like hiraga le monstre or any other (as we may not need much high wattage)?

I am not much keen on tube amps. Looking for either chips or solid state amps circuits . Also would like to add some tone controls/equalizer to the amplifier for bass and treble boost/attenuation.

Also in the speakers specifications its given as nominal power as 20w. Is it RMS power handling value or peak power handling value?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

for a low budget, I think it's hard to beat something like the TPA3116- if using a computer based front end there should be plug-ins available to provide whatever EQ might be required.

as for the power handling -for most domestic home situations, that's really not something to worry about

for a low budget, I think it's hard to beat something like the TPA3116- if using a computer based front end there should be plug-ins available to provide whatever EQ might be required.

as for the power handling -for most domestic home situations, that's really not something to worry about

Hi Chris,

Just checking the power handling details, so that it may be helpful in selecting the amplifier... the amp should not be over powering the speakers and also just thinking if we may not need much power then, how will be a class A amplifier... generally they are very less efficient but for low power not much overall power would be needed... also will there be much difference between these class A solid state amp or chip amps like TPA3116 or others ..

thanks and regards
S Sarath

What does the nominal power = 20w in the specs of these speakers represent? whether its RMS value or peak value?
How about the tone controls circuits before the amplifier circuit, whether its not advisable?
My TV doesnot supports tone controls when playing the contents from a USB drive ..

Well, 20 watts of Class A could get to be costly, as well as be room heaters that you might not need.

I'd really recommend something along the lines of the TPA3116, or Audio Sector LM3875 or 4780 chip amps
http://http://www.audiosector.com/

I've heard both, and built the kit version of the integrated that I think Dave is using in his computer room/ dungeon lab. It's been a while, so I can't remember whether I had a strong preference between the two.

Hello ,

If we r going for class A amp with discreet components , can we use a laptop or xbox
power supply ( which would be a smps) 65w or 90w or 120w or so , for these amps??

If needed with some more filter capacitance or ferrites ...
Will it work well or will it nagete the very purpose of going for a class A amp ??

Thanks and regards
S Sarath

Just looked at description of the ACA.. but its just 5w .. will it be suitable for alpair 7p, or do we need to look at higher powered amps, may be 10-15w atleast?

Also can we use a single larger laptop PSU may be 90w one, for powering 2 ACA modules for stereo operation or its necessary to use separate power supply for individual channels?

To elaborate on Robert's post, you will certainly need some type of volume control in the system - not all source components, whether digital or analog (say the TV's line out) will necessarily have that.

Further, depending on the individual amp's input sensitivity, the source component(s) may not deliver sufficient signal level to drive the amp to full output, and severe mismatches in output vs input impedances as well as lengthy interconnects in the case of active systems, etc, could further compromise things

IOW, I think a pre-amp or at least buffer stage couldn't hurt.

Also can we use a single larger laptop PSU may be 90w one, for powering 2 ACA modules for stereo operation or its necessary to use separate power supply for individual channels?
You can use only one. I power them this way, but keep in mind that you would need a divider power cable. I made this myself as this wasn't available in shops. It's just a cable with one input plug and two output plugs.

Finally assembled and got the aca amp (base amp with out 6w mod) sing with alpair 7p .. both the speakers and the amp kits were sitting idle for long time ..

- no thump sound at power on or off .. it's smoothly starting and stopping ..

- for testing max volume I only once put volume control pot to full .. the volume out of the alpair 7p speakers r coming little less only .. current volume is ok for very near field .. now need to run these to break in the alpair 7p drivers..

Could you please tell the process of breaking-in ..
Read like we need to run with low volume and non bass music ..
Do we need to run continuously for long hours daily or we need to run only some time daily with breaks in between ??
How many days do we need to break-in these before fully using them ??

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_004344-min.jpg
    IMG_20180722_004344-min.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 136
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.