Jordan JX92 bookshelf TL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2004, 12:27 AM   #1
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Jordan JX92 bookshelf TL

Hi All,

I'm thinking of building a Jordan JX92 bookshelf Transmission line speakers. I want them to go down to about 40Hz flat. Something similar to PMC TB2 (but single driver).

Can you help?

Either point me to already proven design, or let me know what tools can I use to help me design my own enclosure?

I am looking towards a bookshelf design due to rigidity of the cabinet, amount of material required and the fact that I already have made some nice stands that I would like to use.

Thanks in advance for your hepl.

P.S.
Here is a pic of my stands:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0953web.jpg (86.0 KB, 1153 views)
Old 20th January 2004, 05:46 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Bookshelf, TL, & 40 Hz just won't equate.... BrianGT posted a ML-TQWT design for the JX92... getting 40 Hz out of a JX92 at any level is something that just isn't doable.

dave
Old 20th January 2004, 01:14 PM   #3
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Do you have a link for that BrianGt ML-TQWT design?

Colin
Old 20th January 2004, 05:21 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Do you have a link for that BrianGt ML-TQWT design?
No time to do a search right now, but it is hear somewhere.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/search.php

dave
Old 20th January 2004, 10:58 PM   #5
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

How about a different design for a bookshelf using a jordan JX92? I still want it to go down as low as possible while maintaining reasonable size (let's say 6l). Has anyone done the bass reflex 6 liters design described on the jordan website? I though that such design, maybe with a super tweeder, might be promissing.

Cheers,

Rafal
Old 21st January 2004, 09:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Planet10. Still looking...

BrianGT has done the 7litre reflex at

here

A comprehensive set of pics.

Colin
Old 21st January 2004, 09:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

OK, found the ML TQWT at

here

Thanks for the info.

PS If BrianGT is out there - did you build them?

Colin
Old 21st January 2004, 10:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think you could probably build a bookshelf TL.
I built the HiFi world KLS5 design a few years ago:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...1/kls5ing.html

They sound fantastic and are almost bookshelf sized, sitting on a pair of 20" stands.
They use the Audax HM170Z0 drive unit which is bigger than the Jordan unit so I think you could use the same line length but make the design a bit smaller.

Certainly I think you could make them less tall as the line would not have to start off so wide but you might instead be able to decrease the depth and add an extra fold to the line so the open end is forward firing.
Old 21st January 2004, 12:16 PM   #9
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
OK, found the ML TQWT at

here

Thanks for the info.

PS If BrianGT is out there - did you build them?

Colin

I didn't build them, and am still using the smaller bass reflex cabinets, which I am quite happy with. I have major concerns with the excursion of the driver in a larger cabinet being too great.

Don't forget about Sheldon's TL:
http://www.quadesl.com/tidytl.shtml
which is completed, and he is happy with it.

--
Brian
Old 21st January 2004, 06:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tpenguin Send a message via AIM to tpenguin Send a message via Yahoo to tpenguin
I've listened to Brian's ported jordan speakers, and I can definitely say that I was impressed. While the bass doesn't extend much lower than 60Hz, the frequencies above 60Hz certainly make themselves known, actually to the point that they should be placed a couple of feet forward from the wall to avoid being excessively bass-heavy. Even though there was a lot more bass than I expected from such a small driver, It never sounded boomy or poorly-defined, even at higher volumes. They are extremely detailed and responsive throughout their entire frequency range and have great highs, considering the size of the driver.

Overall, i think getting better sound out of the drivers would be very difficult, and trying to push the F3 down to 40Hz would cause extremely poor frequency response. It might be possible to get a relatively smooth repsonse from the jx92's a little lower, with a well-designed TL, but it would probably require a very long, tapered line, and trying to fold it into a bookshelf cabinet would be impossible. Looking at Sheldon's TL, even though he says they sound better than they look in the charts, the TL provides no real bass extension over the small, ported box, and it has some very nasty nulls in the response. Even though I like TL's, and I certainly can't say anything bad about this driver, I just don't think it would benefit much from a TL enclosure, and if you want bass lower than ~60Hz, I'd recommend you consider a different driver.

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT

I didn't build them, and am still using the smaller bass reflex cabinets, which I am quite happy with. I have major concerns with the excursion of the driver in a larger cabinet being too great.

Don't forget about Sheldon's TL:
http://www.quadesl.com/tidytl.shtml
which is completed, and he is happy with it.

--
Brian

Hide this!Advertise here!