What new enclosure for my beloved CSS EL70 drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2014, 12:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What new enclosure for my beloved CSS EL70 drivers

Hi folks,

Some of you may remember the BiB enclosures that I created for my EL70s about 3 years back:
Click the image to open in full size.

Unfortunately, we moved back across the world to Ireland and I had to leave the cabinets behind (they're still sitting in our old apartment in Sydney if anyone is interested) but I managed to bring home the drivers.

We've just bought a new place, with a living room that is about 4.1m x 4.2m with the speakers in the corners of the room and TV & source in the centre. There will be curtains behind the speakers permanently, as will as plastered brick walls on all sides of the speakers.

I enjoyed the BiB, absolutely ridiculous amounts of bass and decent detail but I couldn't help feeling that I wasn't getting the most from the drivers. Also, as I knew they were temporary, I never "finished" them. I now have a bit of time (and not enough money) to build the best enclosure I can without a huge, complicated design.

I'm open to floorstander or standmount design. So far, I'm tempted by the Derwent or Mar-Kel70 but would be interested to know from other people if there are any better solutions. The Frugal horn concept has been quashed unfortunately

For interest, my alternatives are B&W DM7 Mk2s from the 70s which have been in the family since new. My prediction is that, even after I rebuild the crossovers, the EL70s should be a better speaker in the right enclosure.
Old 18th October 2014, 04:20 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I've no clue what YOU mean by 'getting the best' out of any driver since technically there's only two to my way of thinking, i.e. either an infinite baffle where the driver's specs define its point source performance or its BLH corollary that completely suppresses it.

All alignments between these two extremes are trade-offs chosen to meet the needs of the app, so what are your performance goals Vs acceptable size, BW, etc., trade-offs?

GM
Old 18th October 2014, 04:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commited View Post
I'm open to floorstander or standmount design. So far, I'm tempted by the Derwent or Mar-Kel70 but would be interested to know from other people if there are any better solutions. The Frugal horn concept has been quashed unfortunately
The Mar-Kel70 is a killer box! You won't believe how deep they'll go.

jeff
Old 18th October 2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stained.JPG (72.2 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg Martello2 and Bigun.JPG (472.3 KB, 222 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 18th October 2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 18th October 2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Aad is offline Aad  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Depends on what you want. Are you lookin for a fun speaker or an almost analytic sound?

I tried the Markel and Henkjan's desktop TL. While the Markel is great fun, the little TL on a speakerstand let the EL70's realy shine.

http://p10hifi.net/planet10/CSS/EL70...map-300709.pdf

Btw.
The TL needs a simple filter to let it sing.
Old 19th October 2014, 03:37 AM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dave- what's the official polysyllabic name of the floorstanders for these drivers? You know, the Port Mahogany pair in the lower dungeon. I'm thinking they'd be appropriate for this application,
Old 19th October 2014, 04:24 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Compact Mar-Kel70 Floorstanders.

dave
Old 19th October 2014, 12:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Some great options, thanks. Overall, I like a high quality fun speaker. I liked the BiB but always felt that it was missing something - can't put my finger on it though. I absolutely hate harsh/bright treble and thankfully full range speakers seem to suit this requirement.

Martello2 looks very interesting, any more findings since the original thread?

Dave, are the plans available for that compact floorstander? I know you're one of the people who've had a huge amount of exposure to this driver in various enclosures - any comments/recommendations?

I have a couple of free weeks now so hoping to crack on with these. Will be powered initially by my existing Hifimediy T2 TK2050 that was paired previously, but would like to upgrade to the T3S in the near future.
Old 19th October 2014, 03:18 PM   #9
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Martello2 looks very interesting, any more findings since the original thread?
They are in almost daily use and still liked very much. The size is a major benefit for them in my case, they flank a flat screen TV and sit at just the right height and don't look too big. I continue to be amazed by the bass - I have not found any need to add a sub for use with the tv. Of course it's a bit of a waste of these speakers to use them with a tv, but I like making speakers and simply have enough of them to go around so why not use them :-)

Treble response of this driver is not as clean as the Alpair 10.3 (the only other Mark Audio driver I've listened to). This isn't a limitation of the enclosure, just a note that there are some other really nice drivers out there
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 19th October 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 19th October 2014, 09:16 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Dave, are the plans available for that compact floorstander? I know you're one of the people who've had a huge amount of exposure to this driver in various enclosures - any comments/recommendations?
They are part of the paid planset, but since i posted the above picture, and since EL70 is long not available, i was thinking of releaing just the Compact MK70 FS for free, email me.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!