Mark audio alpair 7p vs alpair 7.3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2014, 05:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mark audio alpair 7p vs alpair 7.3

Hello,

I am looking to build a floor standing full range speakers to used with tv (for movies) and songs from mobile (mostly mp3 songs). And currently not planning for a sub-woofer, and looking for a driver and cabinet combination to take care of the bass.

Looking at the forums and reviews, thinking to look for mark audio alpair 7.3 in pensils or frugal horn mk3 cabinet, but was bit worried with its lower sensitivity (84-85db).

Then there is alpair 7p (1st generation), and on specs has better sensitivity then the Alpair 7.3, but did not find much info about this paper cone on the forum.

How is alpair 7p compaired with alpair 7.3 ? What are pros and cons of each other compared?

Also how are they both compared with similarly priced fostex fe166en/ff165wk?

thanks and regards
S Sarath
Old 15th October 2014, 05:27 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathssca View Post
How is alpair 7p compaired with alpair 7.3 ? What are pros and cons of each other compared?
I haven't yet seen any comments by anyone on the A7p. My units are awaiting for a bug to get workedout of my measuring sw. Then we will put a pair in FH3.

Quote:
Also how are they both compared with similarly priced fostex fe166en/ff165wk?
FE166 is good, but certainly not as refined as A7.3. To go as low you'd have to put it into one of the big Woden horns. I have a pair of FF165wk in the Compact Fonken165 floorstander arriving on Thursday.

dave
Old 15th October 2014, 10:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I haven't yet seen any comments by anyone on the A7p. My units are awaiting for a bug to get workedout of my measuring sw. Then we will put a pair in FH3.

FE166 is good, but certainly not as refined as A7.3. To go as low you'd have to put it into one of the big Woden horns. I have a pair of FF165wk in the Compact Fonken165 floorstander arriving on Thursday.

dave
Hi Dave,

The big woden horns for FE166en or A7.3?

FE166en being a larger (6.5 inch) drive then 4 inch A7.3, shouldn't it go lower and have better bass ?

thanks and regards
S Sarath
Old 15th October 2014, 10:12 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathssca View Post
The big woden horns for FE166en or A7.3?
FE166

Quote:
FE166en being a larger (6.5 inch) drive then 4 inch A7.3, shouldn't it go lower and have better bass ?
The price for the high efficiency is a BIG box to get bass out of it. Better is a whole nother matter.

The Victors i heard went plenty low, but Bernie sold them preferring his EL70eN, including their bass. The price paid, about 12 dB less efficiency.

dave
Old 15th October 2014, 10:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
FE166

The price for the high efficiency is a BIG box to get bass out of it. Better is a whole nother matter.

The Victors i heard went plenty low, but Bernie sold them preferring his EL70eN, including their bass. The price paid, about 12 dB less efficiency.

dave
Hi Dave,

How are A7.3 compare with A10.3 or A10p... especially A7.3 in FH mk3 compared with A10.3/10p in pensils or other cabinet of around that size?
Also A10.3/10p are larger and more costly.

I was thinking about lower sensitivity of A7.3 when compared with sensitivity of the other full ranges which were mostly near to or over 90db...
So was looking at Alpair 7p which in specs, is little more sensitive and little smoother looking frequency response curve ..

thanks and regards
S Sarath
Old 15th October 2014, 10:54 AM   #6
spekr is offline spekr  United States
Banned

sarathssca, compared to "normal" drivers that are used in multi-way speakers full range drivers aren't smooth at all. You'll see large response variations. 10dB (which is half the perceived loudness) is common. There are some exceptions though.

In my opinion they all need to be equalized to get them into the ballpark. Equalization is cheap and easy to do these days.

Here's an example of a full range speaker under development. The manufacturer claims that is was measured in an anechoic chamber:

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHR80-proto-2a-2b.jpg (135.1 KB, 2237 views)

Last edited by spekr; 15th October 2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 15th October 2014, 11:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Its un-smoothed data. It would only be fair to compare it to other drivers measurements that are un-smoothed as well.
Old 15th October 2014, 11:47 AM   #8
spekr is offline spekr  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Its un-smoothed data. It would only be fair to compare it to other drivers measurements that are un-smoothed as well.
Here's a near field measurement of a driver. I've used the near field technique described by Keele. Frequency resolution 0,334Hz, no smoothing.

Click the image to open in full size.

Maybe the Markaudio data wasn't measured in an anechoic chamber or the measurement methodology produces artifacts? I've asked the manufacturer about his anechoic chamber and measurement methodology but he didn't answer. He even deleted the whole thread.
Attached Images
File Type: png nf.png (15.3 KB, 2182 views)
Old 15th October 2014, 12:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Mark has quite alot on his plate right now, to say the least.

I've got two pairs of 10P's and pretty happy with them, good all round - haven't heard the 7p's I'm guessing they are 'brighter' sounding up top with slightly more obvious detail, if that makes sense. The published graph looks excellent, a dip in the sibilance region and a small rise at the top where you want it. They may need to be listened to slightly off axis but on paper at least, a real winner.

Last edited by Bill poster; 15th October 2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 15th October 2014, 12:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have spot checked my A7P's during break-in. They seem to take a lot longer to settle in than the A7M's. I am going to let them play music by themselves for the rest of the week and do some critical listening Saturday. My current opinion is that they are going to be brighter and more detailed than the A7M's, but my opinion remains fluid at this point.

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!