Dual/Triple tuning TL/Horn: bad idea? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2014, 10:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dual/Triple tuning TL/Horn: bad idea?

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before.

I came across a Japanese DIY website and found something interesting(but I am also highly suspicious about the concept):
(Staggered Tripple Back Loaded Horn Speaker System)
Click the image to open in full size.

This guy trying to load a driver with 3 different quarter wave pipes, hopefully creating multiple cone-loading frequencies. The idea is cool, and I already know that putting more ports on a bass-reflex enclosure will not create multiple resonances.

But thinking about quarter wave pipe, unlike bass-reflex ports, one pipe can't easily short-circuit each other, as long as the resonance frequencies stay reasonably close (within an octave), the quarter wave function might still work. Unfortunately, the Japanese website does not provide a single measured impedance curve which made me wonder it's actually a joke.

I wonder if anyone has trying different tuning horn/TLs sharing a chamber? Also, I hope someone with good physics could explain why this idea doesn't work?

Finally, I actually found a commercial product utilizing this concept which looks like a serious attempt:
Audiopower.ru Technics SST-1
Technics SST-1
Old 15th October 2014, 12:55 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

See the Panpipe thread or Cornu thread. Not a bad idea at all.
The PANPIPE (Pentahorn) BLH Speaker
Old 15th October 2014, 01:23 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

model it in MJK and see what comes out... the 3 stubbs, i think, will all act as one, and with "the pipe" open at both ends will be a half-wave design.

dave
Old 15th October 2014, 02:37 AM   #4
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Right, they will average out to some tuning [Fb] between the two extremes, but not necessarily to what the middle pipe is tuned to.

GM
Old 15th October 2014, 02:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you have a sufficiently small throat each pipe or horn will still have a 1/4 wave mode - at least that is what the sims in AkAbak show.
Old 15th October 2014, 03:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
If you have a sufficiently small throat each pipe or horn will still have a 1/4 wave mode - at least that is what the sims in AkAbak show.
hi X, I just checked your thread, I think it's really awesome!

Any real impedance measurements so far do you know?

I hoped this idea works(and better yet, can be predicted by simulations). If they do, it will encourage the use of smaller drivers, which I liked a lot.
Old 15th October 2014, 03:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
model it in MJK and see what comes out... the 3 stubbs, i think, will all act as one, and with "the pipe" open at both ends will be a half-wave design.

dave
Hi Dave, that's a possibility for sure. Maybe some section discontinuities will break "the pipe"?

And what about 3 pipes/5 pipes?
Old 15th October 2014, 03:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Right, they will average out to some tuning [Fb] between the two extremes, but not necessarily to what the middle pipe is tuned to.

GM
Hi, X's simulation indicates otherwise.
But so far I found no real measurements besides some in house frequency responses. Not quite something I'm looking for.
Old 15th October 2014, 03:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingpht View Post
hi X, I just checked your thread, I think it's really awesome!

Any real impedance measurements so far do you know?

I hoped this idea works(and better yet, can be predicted by simulations). If they do, it will encourage the use of smaller drivers, which I liked a lot.
Nothing built yet. Someone was starting to draw plans up based on my design but it all sort of petered out. I can get predicted impedances if you are interested in that.
Old 15th October 2014, 03:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Nothing built yet. Someone was starting to draw plans up based on my design but it all sort of petered out. I can get predicted impedances if you are interested in that.
I would be interested in measured impedance (so that the idea can be proved, only if the curve is a 'mess")

Hide this!Advertise here!