I think I want to build a set of horns...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, I've been enthralled with horns since I heard a pair as a kid back in the 80s.

I'd really like to build a pair and I'm considering going with a pair of the Fostex FE166En and using the fostex suggested plans. I've built some subwoofer enclosures in the past, but I've never attempted anything on this scale.

I've been told that the Fostex plans aren't very good and that the Frugel-Horn 3 is better. I've also been told that the Lotus design would be better. I was also told that the 6.5 inch full driver may sound like a good idea but in reality I'd be better off with a smaller driver.

The more I read, the more overwhelmed I become. That's why I say I think I want to build a set of horns. :eek:

The room these will live in is 11' w x 19' deep. The wall that the speakers will be close to only has one corner on the right, the left side has an entrance opening...so corner horns are out.

I'm still a beginner and I'm trying to learn as I go here.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm hungry for a burger...maybe I should eat a ham sandwich first though. ;)
I know you're trying to be helpful, and I do appreciate the links and information, however I really do want to build some horns.

There's a time-honored tradition of starting off with a simple ported box.
Been there done that. I've built a pair of A25 replicas, a small sound bar format L/R/C setup, and countless subwoofer enclosures (ported, sealed, bandpass, etc).

It won't be your last speaker
Agreed, but it's also not my first, but it will by my first horn.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fostex FE166En

The Fostex recommended horns are not among the best.

This driver may work in the Frugel-Horn XL with suitable damping changes -- the guy that installed the FE168eS (which requires similar loading) is happy with them.

Austin A166, Haruna, and Victor are well proven for FE166.

Smaller drivers are better in some ways, larger in other ways.

What kind of amplifier do you have -- it should be noted that these drivers tend to work better with amplifiers that have higher output impedance.

dave

With designs like FH3 or FH-XL there are other drivers out there that can give a "horny" experience. :)

For Fe166EN Victor would work?

But that's a big one and does it need corners?

IMHO it is better to determine listening goals first, then choose a suitable design (taking into consideration room etc), and then going for the drivers.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Are you up for front horns too or just BLH's?
Here is a tractrix horn. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/261427-presenting-trynergy-full-range-tractrix-synergy.html

434885d1408929326-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications-tractrix-build-cld-7.jpg

Last edited:
For me, a time honoured tradition is to match the scale of the speaker system to the room- the dimensions given equal 209ft^2 - in my personal estimation too small for any of the large double mouth designs such as the Victor in Dave's photos to work at their best.

I'd never dissuade anyone planning to build a horn design, but if you don't already have the drivers, I'd be inclined to recommend something like the FH3 - with FE126En if you really like the Fostex tonality, or have limited amp power and need the sensitivity. If neither of those are significant factors in your calculus, the Alpair 7.3 ( with which I'm quite familiar, and have heard in this design) , or the new A7P (still waiting to get our first pair installed) would be quite worthy of consideration.

Then there's the larger FHXL- intended for drivers in the next size range. I have them with both A10.3and A10P, and lean slightly towards the latter. I believe Dave has indicated somewhere that at least one model of Fostex in this size range has been tried in the 'XL, but I could be all wet on that one.

No, the Victors, or even the smaller Valiants/ Maeshowe certainly don't need corners - indeed, knowing Dave's room as well as my own, I dare say he'd be snookered with any speaker that did.

Last edited:
I have 3 receivers available to use.

First is a Kenwood 107VR
Specs: Kenwood 107VR Specs - CNET

Next is an Onkyo TX-SR502
Receivers | A/V Receiver | Stereo Receiver | AVR | TX-SR502 | Onkyo USA

Last is a Hitachi SR-503
Hitachi SR-503 Manual - AM/FM Stereo Receiver - HiFi Engine

And while none of of these are perfect, they are all I have at the time. I would like to upgrade to something nicer in the future though.

As far as the drivers go, I do like the Fostex lineup and it's what I've heard in the past. But I'm not married to them. As horrible as this will sound (no pun intended) I like the look of the TB drivers, though I have no clue how they will sound...but they are aesthetically pleasing.

I'm trying to recreate the wow factor that I experienced as a kid the first time I heard the Fostex horns play Miles Davis and Huey Lewis.

I do have a subwoofer sitting here, that could be used if necessary.

My only real design request is that they are under 48" tall and have a smaller footprint than my CV VS-120s.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/263180-i-think-i-want-build-set-horns.html

Hey, I've been enthralled with horns since I heard a pair as a kid back in the 80s.

The room these will live in is 11' w x 19' deep. The wall that the speakers will be close to only has one corner on the right, the left side has an entrance opening...so corner horns are out.
Greets!

Same here except it was in 1952 experiencing HONDO in 3D, Altec three channel cinema sound at Atlanta's Fabulous Fox Theater. The 'hook' was sunk deep!

OK, room loading poses some fairly serious channel balancing problems [by my standards].

OK, where is the listening position [LP]? It should be at an odd harmonic of the room’s length from the sound wall, i.e. 1st [up against back wall], 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc..

Alright, you have the horn fixation. Nothing wrong with that, so just build the ultimate, the Austin. If that's too much work, a BiB.
+1 :D Tough to beat for an intro into pipe horns.

Is this an Olson concept?

I have 3 receivers available to use.
My only real design request is that they are under 48" tall and have a smaller footprint than my CV VS-120s.
These are all vanishingly low output impedance, so the driver’s Qts + any added series resistance [Rs + Qts = Qts’] will completely dominate cab alignment design, ergo ideally will have a ~0.4 – 0.707 Qts’.

If you later choose to switch to a high output impedance amp > a couple of ohms, then you’ll either have to accept a somewhat under-damped [‘loose’/’flabby’] bass that may require adding some internal damping to quell or make new horns using < 0.4 Qts’ drivers or………. start with one and use up to a matching impedance worth of series resistance [Rs = driver nominal impedance, i.e. 8 ohms, etc.] to allow any type of amp to be used.

Note this applies to ALL speaker alignments, not just horns, a point often misunderstood/ignored, then wonder why it sounds too bass shy, heavy and/or too little to banshee wailing mids-treble.

Not familiar with any of the more recent drivers available, but guessing this is what Dave’s recommendations is primarily based on.

OK, BIB is out.

OK, what’s the CV’s footprint? I failed mind reading 101. ;)

GM

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/263180-i-think-i-want-build-set-horns.html
These are all vanishingly low output impedance, so the driver’s Qts + any added series resistance [Rs + Qts = Qts’] will completely dominate cab alignment design, ergo ideally will have a ~0.4 – 0.707 Qts’.

If you later choose to switch to a high output impedance amp > a couple of ohms, then you’ll either have to accept a somewhat under-damped [‘loose’/’flabby’] bass that may require adding some internal damping to quell or make new horns using < 0.4 Qts’ drivers or………. start with one and use up to a matching impedance worth of series resistance [Rs = driver nominal impedance, i.e. 8 ohms, etc.] to allow any type of amp to be used.

GYOXf2N.jpg

So...the Kenwood and Onkyo support 8-16 ohm. The Hitachi supports 4-8 ohm. But I guess I'm not fully understanding "output impedance". Are there any inexpensive diy or other receivers/amps that would match better with out breaking the bank?

Note this applies to ALL speaker alignments, not just horns, a point often misunderstood/ignored, then wonder why it sounds too bass shy, heavy and/or too little to banshee wailing mids-treble.
I understand that. I had a hell of a time finding anything on the shelf that would drive my CV VS-120s and produce decent bass. The Hitachi is currently driving them and they sound decent, though not great.

OK, BIB is out.
Bigger is almost always better, unless you have to appease the wife's sense of design.

OK, what’s the CV’s footprint? I failed mind reading 101. ;)
:) My telepathic keyboard skills were not working when I typed that. The CVs stand 35" tall x 15" deep and 17" wide. I'm fine with height up to about 48" and depth up to 15" but the width needs to be 10" or less.

I greatly appreciate everyone's time and all the awesome information!

Tom

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So...the Kenwood and Onkyo support 8-16 ohm. The Hitachi supports 4-8 ohm. But I guess I'm not fully understanding "output impedance".

The output impedance is often specified by the damping factor (a quite confusing term).

A high output impedance amplifier has a low damping factor.

most SE tube amplifiers, some PP tubeamps, some Firstwatt amps are common examples

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.