3D printed supercheap speaker (mono)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

on myminifactory.com, we recently uploaded a printable very cheap speaker:
Download Hex Speaker (Mono) by LeonSingle - MyMiniFactory.com

So right now i must confess that the accoustic of this is not the best, but I was thinking that maybe I could find some enthusiasts on this forum who would want to have a look at it or customize it, maybe try other speakers etc...

Anyway the STL file is available for free so if it can be useful for you in anyway, feel free to download it!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Better driver and larger enclosure?

Every driver has what could be considered an ideal enclosure for it. If you want anything resembling bass, you have to allow for the driver to 'breathe'. Some drivers are best in sealed, some vented, some exotic. Just like certain tires are meant for certain cars/trucks and driving conditions.

With only around 1W of clean output and a teeny driver, there's not much you can do. It's debatable whether spending any money at all makes sense without upgrading the amp first - it's a better project for scavenged drivers, maybe.

I happen to have a simulation of Faital 3FE20 saved that works fine when adjusted to a 9.5cm square baffle (but need to double-ish or more the length and add a port hole tuned for 100Hz). Uses a passive filter, image attached. I certainly wouldn't spend that much on a speaker with so little output, but there it is.

In general, avoid making the front shape any closer to a concentric circle around the driver than you have to. A square with a chamfered edge would be better than what you've got there, and maximize the internal volume too.

P.S. You could just put in one of the LM386 guitar amp designs and a guitar jack with the speaker you've got now and call it a day - should work great. I wouldn't be surprised if that already exists in 3D printer land, though.

Attachments

• temp.gif
    temp.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.