Partially obstructed speaker issue - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2014, 12:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Partially obstructed speaker issue

Greetings! I've learned a lot over the years just reading posts here, but I finally have a question that needs specific answers.

I am replacing a pair of M-Audio studiopro 4's (tweeters destroyed by my toddler). I'd like to try out one of the Fostex 3" or 4" kits (discussed on this forum pretty extensively) and use a TPA3116 (50x2 and 100x1 for sub) to drive the speakers and a sub I already have. Any opinions on this plan (especially on the amp) are very much welcomed, however I have another question:

There is only 3.5" (9cm) of space on each side of my Computer monitor. Should I go for the 4" Fostex drivers, even though they will be partially obstructed by the monitor, or would it be better to have a 100% unobstructed 3" driver?

Thank you for your advice!
Old 4th October 2014, 01:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here are some pictures to show the space issue...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speakerspace01.JPG (100.9 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg speakerspace02.JPG (106.1 KB, 182 views)
Old 4th October 2014, 02:19 AM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Photos don't provide a full frontal view of the entire set- up; would there be sufficient space on the shelf above the monitor for a pair of small enclosures- perhaps laying sideways?

For near field, the 3"FF85K is an excellent candidate, and the TPA3116 is quite a nice piece as well

BTW, what's in the glass?
Old 4th October 2014, 02:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Having both FF85k (in micro-Fonken) and FE103en (in Metronome), my personal choice would be the 85 with a HP filter to cut off below 100 Hz (since you have the sub).

As always: YMMV

Cheers, Jim
Old 4th October 2014, 04:38 PM   #5
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

I too am a greater fan of the 85wk than the 103, although have never compared them in similar cabinets. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the 85s and a little subwoofer help always nice.

PS: be thinking metal grills to keep prying fingers out….Fostex has some that fit each of their smaller drivers and you can always fashion them yourself. I don't know how many driver dustcaps and whizzer cones have been gouged over the years by nieces, nephews, grandkids, etc…..I think toddlers are genetically hardwired to go after them!

Mario
Old 4th October 2014, 05:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
Having both FF85k... and FE103en...
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobhed View Post
I too am a greater fan of the 85wk than the 103...
Hi Jim and Toobhed,

Could you elaborate on what you prefer about the 85 vs. the 103? Is it a certain characteristic (e.g., dispersion, extension, smoothness, timbre, a certain range etc.)? Also, if you have the 108E-Sigma (as you have, Jim), could you compare the 85 and 103 to the 108?

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 4th October 2014, 06:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just off the top of my head:
In his situation, enclosure size is extremely limited, which means no bass extension anyway. May as well go for better top end, which (for me at least) is the FF85k (now the FF85wk, which is reputed to be even better) over the 103. Also, if the enclosure is so small, there will be more space inside the box around the driver for the 85. Driver extremely close to sides, top or bottom = poor sound (most likely). Further complicated by the 103 box being large enough that the computer monitor would obstruct the 103.

Comparing both to the 108: I think the 85 has the best top end of the three. The 108 has better top end than the 103. In the mid-range, the 108 edges out both the 85 & 103.

The 103 & 108 in the right enclosures can get enough low freq extension to be satisfying much of the time, but both need help for serious listening (unless the music has no bottom end and has little or no 'hall' sound, which also needs low end to provide a sense of a large acoustic space). If you build a 2-way using the 85 crossed low to a nice woofer, I would choose that over the 108 by itself. (Rather like the MJK small, passive OB I built with the 85 and the Eminence Alpha 15a.)

While the 103 is a nice driver, the 108 is a step up. How big a step depends on your preferences. Is the 108 worth the extra $$$ over the 103? Hard to say.

Cheers, Jim
Old 4th October 2014, 08:49 PM   #8
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I can't really add much more to what Jim said and agree with him completely about the 85 v 103….85's highs are clearer and you have a sub anyway so bottom end isn't an issue.

I have, however, directly compared the ff85k (beige driver with metal dust cap) to the ff85wk (blueish driver) both in a uFonken cabinet. I slightly prefer the wk in those cabs to the k. To me the highs of the wk are a little smoother yet every bit as detailed to those of the k……

Go for it!

Mario
Old 4th October 2014, 10:04 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Mario - I'd phrase it even more strongly in favour of the WKs - indeed I find all of the 4 models of that series that I've heard ( i.e all except the 225) superior to their immediate predecessors or current siblings.
Old 6th October 2014, 04:49 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks everybody. Great advice. Sorry about the pictures. They were all I had and I was away from home. To answer your question, Chris, Laphroaig 10 year. My favorite treat.

Hide this!Advertise here!