Partially obstructed speaker issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings! I've learned a lot over the years just reading posts here, but I finally have a question that needs specific answers.

I am replacing a pair of M-Audio studiopro 4's (tweeters destroyed by my toddler). I'd like to try out one of the Fostex 3" or 4" kits (discussed on this forum pretty extensively) and use a TPA3116 (50x2 and 100x1 for sub) to drive the speakers and a sub I already have. Any opinions on this plan (especially on the amp) are very much welcomed, however I have another question:

There is only 3.5" (9cm) of space on each side of my Computer monitor. Should I go for the 4" Fostex drivers, even though they will be partially obstructed by the monitor, or would it be better to have a 100% unobstructed 3" driver?

Thank you for your advice!

Here are some pictures to show the space issue...

Attachments

• speakerspace01.JPG
    speakerspace01.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 221
  • speakerspace02.JPG
    speakerspace02.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 231
Photos don't provide a full frontal view of the entire set- up; would there be sufficient space on the shelf above the monitor for a pair of small enclosures- perhaps laying sideways?

For near field, the 3"FF85K is an excellent candidate, and the TPA3116 is quite a nice piece as well

BTW, what's in the glass?

I too am a greater fan of the 85wk than the 103, although have never compared them in similar cabinets. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the 85s and a little subwoofer help always nice.

PS: be thinking metal grills to keep prying fingers out….Fostex has some that fit each of their smaller drivers and you can always fashion them yourself. I don't know how many driver dustcaps and whizzer cones have been gouged over the years by nieces, nephews, grandkids, etc…..I think toddlers are genetically hardwired to go after them!

Mario

Having both FF85k... and FE103en...

I too am a greater fan of the 85wk than the 103...

Hi Jim and Toobhed,

Could you elaborate on what you prefer about the 85 vs. the 103? Is it a certain characteristic (e.g., dispersion, extension, smoothness, timbre, a certain range etc.)? Also, if you have the 108E-Sigma (as you have, Jim), could you compare the 85 and 103 to the 108?

Thank you very much in advance!

Just off the top of my head:
In his situation, enclosure size is extremely limited, which means no bass extension anyway. May as well go for better top end, which (for me at least) is the FF85k (now the FF85wk, which is reputed to be even better) over the 103. Also, if the enclosure is so small, there will be more space inside the box around the driver for the 85. Driver extremely close to sides, top or bottom = poor sound (most likely). Further complicated by the 103 box being large enough that the computer monitor would obstruct the 103.

Comparing both to the 108: I think the 85 has the best top end of the three. The 108 has better top end than the 103. In the mid-range, the 108 edges out both the 85 & 103.

The 103 & 108 in the right enclosures can get enough low freq extension to be satisfying much of the time, but both need help for serious listening (unless the music has no bottom end and has little or no 'hall' sound, which also needs low end to provide a sense of a large acoustic space). If you build a 2-way using the 85 crossed low to a nice woofer, I would choose that over the 108 by itself. (Rather like the MJK small, passive OB I built with the 85 and the Eminence Alpha 15a.)

While the 103 is a nice driver, the 108 is a step up. How big a step depends on your preferences. Is the 108 worth the extra $$$ over the 103? Hard to say.

Cheers, Jim

Hi,

I can't really add much more to what Jim said and agree with him completely about the 85 v 103….85's highs are clearer and you have a sub anyway so bottom end isn't an issue.

I have, however, directly compared the ff85k (beige driver with metal dust cap) to the ff85wk (blueish driver) both in a uFonken cabinet. I slightly prefer the wk in those cabs to the k. To me the highs of the wk are a little smoother yet every bit as detailed to those of the k……

Go for it!

Mario

That is a compelling idea, Chris (both the speaker placement and the Irish whiskey!). I'll have to measure when I get back to the house. Based on what I've read here, I will be going with the smaller FF85wk drivers so they just might fit over head. I'll be sure to post some pics when I set them up.

One more thing I'm worried about: I have never paired such a delicate speaker with such a powerful amp (speaker is rated at 5-15 watts vs. amp is 50 watts per channel). I'd go with a smaller amp, but I really like what I've read about the TPA3116 and I like the built in sub and crossover (also, the price is right). Am I asking for trouble by pairing this amp with those speakers?

:cool:
That is a compelling idea, Chris (both the speaker placement and the Irish whiskey!). I'll have to measure when I get back to the house. Based on what I've read here, I will be going with the smaller FF85wk drivers so they just might fit over head. I'll be sure to post some pics when I set them up.

One more thing I'm worried about: I have never paired such a delicate speaker with such a powerful amp (speaker is rated at 5-15 watts vs. amp is 50 watts per channel). I'd go with a smaller amp, but I really like what I've read about the TPA3116 and I like the built in sub and crossover (also, the price is right). Am I asking for trouble by pairing this amp with those speakers?

AFAIC, that's far less of a problem than driving a low powered amp past its limits - some don't behave very well at all under such circumstances. There are a lot of ways to damage a FR driver of course, but in a near field situation such as seems to be the case here, it'll likely get uncomfortably (can I say unladylike) loud before the FF85WK goes up in smoke.

I have to agree with chrisb on this one. Starting back >30 some years ago I always used amps that were way over the power rating of the drivers. With a sub you'll be less tempted to kill the fullrange with trying to squeeze out that last Hz. Once relieved of bass duties that power rating goes up and reduce excursion that would otherwise be pushed to the limits.

I still have 4 fe103's that were run off of a Hafler DH555 @ 255w/ch from thirty years ago. Overkill certainly, dynamic / clear due to the headroom and ziltch clipping.

As long as you don't publish any selfies of yourself enjoying the new system, you'll likely find support here whatever your decision.

For myself, I just ordered one of the all parts include TP3116 kits from a Yuan Jing, and frankly didn't bother to look at that part of the spec sheet. It has more than enough power for my application, sounds better I think than the Kingrex T20 it replaced, and is energy efficient enough that I don't bother to turn it off - which makes it a breeze for my wife to operate the system - a single mute volume button on the DAC/pre's remote and we're good to go.

As far as "blocked" drivers, well, you already have that situation!

And it is not too ideal. My inclination would be to build tall deep skinny enclosures which would stick out past the computer monitor. To fit the drivers, I would angle the front baffle inward. This would let you maybe fit a 4" (need more exact measurements to decide that) and also get the tweeter out in front of the monitor. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.