diamond drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it something like the $2,900.00 Accutons D20-6-31 Pure Diamond you are talking about?
Never tried! ;)
Diamond Booklet by Dr. Christoph Wild, Dr. Eckhard Wörner pdf
Diamond loudspeaker cones for high-end audio components by E.Woerner, C.Wild, W.Mueller-Sebert, P.Koidl and A.Bankewitz pdf
Success stories on advanced ceramics by Fraunhofer AdvanCer - Adrian Bankewitz pdf

Another type of product that seems logical is the composite Focal Polyglass paper-fiberglass cone drivers. Look for the letter "V" as in Focal 6V 4211 (Polyglass-Membrane). link1 (lautsprechershop.de), link2 (zalytron FACTORY LIQUIDATION)
One new nanotechnology deserving some testing in the driver DIY world is flexible Liquid Glass with real glass properties that was never tried or measured before, in this forum, that I know. :D
Liquid Glass | CCM GmbH Germany
Liquid Glass
The New Generation of Liquid Glass Coatings - Made in Germany - be fascinated! - YouTube

What a story SY thanks :) and exactly a product world needs.

Being a modern processed product then add they probably build in planned obsolescence to guarantee consumer demand, around a three years period it will be revealed and need new diamonds :rolleyes:.

The B&W's and the Accutons are pure diamond domes. That's very different from coating a membrane with "diamond dust"

Yeah, the ones I heard had both cones and domes made entirely from diamond, according to their sales guy (maybe designer, too?). I'd love to have a day or two to do some comprehensive measurements and trace down why they were so insanely bright (think bleeding ear-sockets), but I suspect the company that sells them wouldn't be thrilled loaning out $100k worth of speakers to me.:D

I can't imagine any logical reason to coat a driver with diamond dust, other than to increase it's perceived value for marketing reasons.

If it was possible to grow an industrial diamond as big as a driver diaphragm, that would be interesting, but it's not.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I just can't see any sonic benefit whatsoever.

Usher coats their titanium tweeter domes with CVD, calls them "DMD," markets the speakers as "Dancer Diamond" series.

They are the same titanium diaphragms that used to be marketed as "Pure Beryllium." When they got caught they did the CVD thing to appease duped customers and press. The speakers are still called Be-20, Be-10. The titanium midrange driver was once sold as "Pure Beryllium," but it was not redone with CVD, and now Usher no longer identifies the cone material.

The Dayton RS28F and RS28A are the same tweeter, but with silk or aluminum dome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.