Solo 201

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I was wondering has anyone build humble homemade hifi solo-201?

It has Ciare 201 HX Full-range driver.

Here is the link to the pdf:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble Homemade Hifi_Solo-201_copy.pdf

I don't understand the graphs really, can someone please read and comment on those graphs?

Also if there is anyone have had builded Solo-201, can you tell me is it any good?

One more question, it has crossover section. I have been looking for full-range speakers for a long time and I haven't seen full-range speakers with crossover section. Is it really necessary?

I am a total newbie to speakers and I have so many questions in my head :)

Thanks,
Caner.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Hello everyone,

I was wondering has anyone build humble homemade hifi solo-201?

It has Ciare 201 HX Full-range driver.

Here is the link to the pdf:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble Homemade Hifi_Solo-201_copy.pdf

I don't understand the graphs really, can someone please read and comment on those graphs?

Also if there is anyone have had builded Solo-201, can you tell me is it any good?

One more question, it has crossover section. I have been looking for full-range speakers for a long time and I haven't seen full-range speakers with crossover section. Is it really necessary?

I am a total newbie to speakers and I have so many questions in my head :)

Thanks,
Caner.

I've got a lot of respect for Tony Gee. The design is a Weems pipe (or some regard it as a folded Voigt) and they normally perform quite well - a Voigt is my favourite design.

That is not a crossover - it is to compensate for the narrow baffle and some irregularity in the reponse curve. In Germany there appears to be a tendency to try to correct anomalies in the reponse curve with elaborate filters, in other parts of the world they try to avoid as much as possible passive correction. I do the correction by using an equalizer in my computer - less problems with phase anomalies that are introduced by a passive filter.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Mozart. That cleared my mind and questions :)

About the design, I am between this and Frugal-Horn XL. Frugal seems like easier to build and cheaper also.

But if I knew, I would get a "better" result then I wouldn't hesitate to build better one. However, it should be in my budget range ofcourse :)

I mostly listen progressive rock, 70's rock, blues and some jazz. I wonder those speakers can help me with those kind of music.

Caner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.