Rutcho's Fullrange Measurements Database

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks good, but pretty standard overall to me.
It’s the usual about 10dB drop from 8 kHz, when the whizzer takes over.

The University Diffusicone Eight is strange in it’s response but has quite even dispersion. Looks like it might sound good.
The Coral Beta 8 is perhaps the greatest 8 driver ever. Again strange dispersion, with a huge peaks on axis. But just 10 degrees off it sounds very even to about 45. In room it’s nigh on perfect.

Getting good even dispersion in the highs maybe the biggest problem. If one doesn't like beaming then learn to use a tweeter.

Last edited:
The dispersion pattern is probably one og the biggest reasons to prefer FR drivers.
A gradual attenuation of the highs is much preferable to the coke bottle profile shaped off axis plots of multi-way speakers.
Even if they measure even, multi-way are often plagued by strange sounding phase related anomalites off axis.
While FR are not totally devoid of those, the phase transitions gel far better (more gradual probably, compared to the binary nature of sound from one driver overlapping with that from another) and are less obvious.
FR highs also sound far less strained, compared to a 1 inch driver that has to keep up with a 8 woofer in SPL.

Getting good dispersion with a big driver can be had with a slightly peaky, hot driver and then aim it a few degrees up from about knee hight.
That way you are using the dispersion cone to its fullest in the room.
Sitting down you’ll never get the peak, only momentarily when walking around.
There is of course a whole host of lenses, diffusers and cones you can put in front of the driver too.

Last edited:
The dispersion pattern is probably one og the biggest reasons to prefer FR drivers.
A gradual attenuation of the highs is much preferable to the coke bottle profile shaped off axis plots of multi-way speakers.
Even if they measure even, multi-way are often plagued by strange sounding phase related anomalites off axis.
While FR are not totally devoid of those, the phase transitions gel far better (more gradual probably, compared to the binary nature of sound from one driver overlapping with that from another) and are less obvious.
FR highs also sound far less strained, compared to a 1 inch driver that has to keep up with a 8 woofer in SPL.

Getting good dispersion with a big driver can be had with a slightly peaky, hot driver and then aim it a few degrees up from about knee hight.
That way you are using the dispersion cone to its fullest in the room.
Sitting down you’ll never get the peak, only momentarily when walking around.
There is of course a whole host of lenses, diffusers and cones you can put in front of the driver too.

I usually don't like too much direct sound. I do have some mtm horn speakers that I like a lot but only from from a distance in hard room. I've heard tubes can take the edge off full range directivity but it would be an expensive test.
Who is using diffusers? The main companies like fostex use whizzers which helps lower but creates problems higher up.

Last edited:
Tubes won’t do a thing, other than placebo effect.
Sure they’ll sound different. But the dispersion pattern is the same.

The whizzer works kind of like a diffuser.

There a lots of speakers that have the driver horizontal and firing onto a cone.

The slot lens has been used on a lot of speakers in various shapes.

You can use foam or felt to work as a kind of absorptive lens (pinhole is probably the nearest optical analogy).

Lowther had the polystyrene mushroom phaseblugs.

You can put a multi cell horn in front of the driver.

There is of course also the concave slanted slat/lamella lens, used in many vintage speakers.

There’s the concave cup reflector, with close focal point, that actually results in a diffusion.

There’s the use of multiple smaller drivers splayed.

You can fire the driver into the ceiling or onto a wall to achieve diffusion.

Did I miss anything?

You’ll get dispersion of exactly the frequencies that doesn’t really need it. That is midrange and down.
There is little high frequency sound coming out the back of the cone (no whizzer there) and reflecting off the walls it becomes even more attenuated.
One of the most famous OB speakers ever had a top mounted, up firing tweeter to provide ambience.
What could be done though, is making a do/bi-pole and attenuate the front driver. Or you could simply turn the speaker around and have it firing into the wall, giving the upper registers a nudge up on the EQ.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.